Vintage Mossberg fans CLOSE YOUR EYES!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Vintage Mossberg fans CLOSE YOUR EYES!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Vintage Mossberg fans CLOSE YOUR EYES!!

The vintage bolt action Moss fans will probably want to strangle me. I took my old 1950's 195d bolty and gave it a modern look. I do a lot of hobbiest painting and metal work, (restoring anything old and metal, cars, tractors, gas cans.. u name it), but this was my first attempt painting a gun (besides doing some nice cammo for a few friend's paintball markers)

I had originally re-finished the walnut stock as you can see in the first half of the picture in 2006 and it was beautiful.. but since then it had been dented and damaged.. and scratched to hell.. and unfortunately the barrel had started to rust and pit do to some flood damage we had a while back.

To give the gun a modern look, I used a textured paint on the stock to make it look like a new-aged resin synthetic.. hard to see the detail here (even the up close pics can't capture the real detail or color) but its a medium drak grey base with white/tan granules in it.. feels like a light duty sand paper and has really nice grip.

I flat blacked the barrel with a bake on industrial paint all the way to back to the chamber (right about where the rear sight is) and I left the rear section the vintage blued patina. The magazine housing shield was painted with a rubber undercoating material but you cant really see it in the pictures.

Anyway I tried to take a close up so you can see the textured stock up close (pictures dont do it justice) and where the black meets the old blue.. The barrel paint looks all bumpy but its smooth as a baby's butt.. I think it was just the flash from the camera.

This is my first post here so please refrain from the negative comments if you hate it. I was just wanted something to play with at the range that people would be like, "hey wow what is that, ive never seen one."

If you have any questions please let me know, i'd be glad to help in any way I can.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-30-2012, 06:12 AM   #2

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Looks good!

Welcome to the forum!! Stop by the introductions section and say hi when you get some time.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 01-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1583 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 8274

I am an old Mossberg junkie, and I am not offended. She was a beautiful shotgun nefore, and I feel that the new finish gives her a very unique look. Great job, epescially for a first atempt.

I own a 200k 12 ga. pump built of the bolt gun, and a 185d, and a 185ka. All are in original finish, but the work you did may have inspired me to redo the 185ka if anything ever happens to it. Good work, and I know it will turn some heads!

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 01-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I don't see nothing wrong with what you did I think it looks nice. It's not like you had taken a priceless rare firearm and cut it to pieces.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8966 Times on 3881 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

Am a fan of older Mossys (got the brother of yours) and I am not a bit offended- your remake looks very good. These guns were meant to be shot- not put in a glass case as an artwork. They were the guns of the working stiff- the farmer, mechanic, carpenter, storekeeper. Simple, robust, durable and reliable. I do have some early Mossys with incredible grain in the walnut stocks that would be a shame to cover, but those are the exception.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #6

Thanks I'm glad you guys like it. Has any one ever come up with a way around the cycle problem where you have to hold your hand under the mag and push it up when cycling with the bolt to load a new round into the tube? I've tried a few different things.. it just seems to me if they had made the slide rail on the magazine itself about a half inch lower.. it would solve the problem by locking it right against the clip on the barrel, instead of letting it slide down a small amount (which causes the shells to not push into the chamber). I tried bending the slide rails on the mag a little by closing them up. It did work, but then it made it VERY VERY difficult to remove it, so that was a no no

Last edited by bang_bang; 01-30-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1227 Times on 836 Posts
Likes Given: 1246

I think it looks damn nice & probably last a whole lot longer now & probably a lot more rugged to, now go shoot the hell of it................

When all else fails.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

As a collector of antique guns, knives and ammo, any kind of alteration to original is akin to tattoing grandma. A hot seat in hell awaits you Im afraid. However you did a quite nice job. Not garish at all. I would be only a slight bit embarrased to hunt with her now. The desire to "redue to new" was an early caractor flaw of me as well in my youth. I cant tell you how many antique knives I destroyed by polishing then to new condition. You appear to have some talent, lets just try and channel it to a more productive path.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1583 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 8274

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang_bang View Post
Thanks I'm glad you guys like it. Has any one ever come up with a way around the cycle problem where you have to hold your hand under the mag and push it up when cycling with the bolt to load a new round into the tube? I've tried a few different things.. it just seems to me if they had made the slide rail on the magazine itself about a half inch lower.. it would solve the problem by locking it right against the clip on the barrel, instead of letting it slide down a small about (which causes the shells to not push into the chamber). I tried bending the slide rails on the mag a little but closing then up. It did work, but then it made it VERY VERY difficult to remove it, so that was a no no
Sorry, can't help on that, as I have never had that problem with any of mine. I do have a friend who had a problem like that with his though, I think it only happened when he put the mag in with the bolt closed. Try inserting the mag with the bolt open, load the chamber by hand, hold down the top shell in the mag, and slide the bolt forward. Then try to cycle the shotgun normally. Don't know if this will help or not, but it's worth a try. Good luck

Just came to me. Could it be a worn mag retention spring?

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Last edited by kfox75; 01-30-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #10

Liked 251 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Looks good. Not a collector piece so no harm done IMHO.

It's not like you camo gunkoted a Model 12 Heavy Duck.

Common guns are for use, and within that modifying to personal taste.

Enjoy your revitalized toy!