Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   VIDEO: How to Install a Full Length Magazine Tube on a Shotgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/video-how-install-full-length-magazine-tube-shotgun-71697/)

Amsdorf 09-03-2012 03:02 PM

VIDEO: How to Install a Full Length Magazine Tube on a Shotgun

I purchased a full length magazine tube from CarrierComp, a titanium tube, for my M4 Benelli and installed it yesterday. With the right tools, and with enough patience, doing it was quite straightforward. But you have to get over the fear that you are going to ruin your receiver when you start blasting away with the heat gun. In fact, unless/until smoke starts to come out, you have not heated it up enough.

Hope some may find this video useful if they decide to install a full length magazine tube for themselves.

I can't say enough good things about the quality of CarrierComp products, the fit and finish are truly superb. Great folks, Kip and Marcy, own/operate the business.

mountainman13 09-03-2012 03:40 PM

Great video. Did you have to change out anything on the barrel? May I make one suggestion? Strap wrench ;)

msup752 09-03-2012 04:09 PM

I did the same thing almost 2 years ago. They make a great titanium tube.
It does need to be heated until after the smoke rolls out and then some. I used grippy foam to grab the tube and twist it. It is the grippy stuff that people line drawers with, open can lids or put under carpets.
Of course I had to replace a few other parts to make the tube legal.

Amsdorf 09-04-2012 11:50 PM

msup, yup, you got it. "Grippy foam" sounds like a good idea.

Yup, I've got enough USA parts to make it all kosher under 922r.

RemFire 09-05-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 926319)
Great video. Did you have to change out anything on the barrel? May I make one suggestion? Strap wrench ;)

Do you not think heat is always required if you can apply enough torque?. I wondered about a modified ER40 collet chuck and correct sized collet.

mountainman13 09-05-2012 11:46 AM

Heating it is a good idea. You wouldn't want to torque the frame. There always different ways to things of course.

Amsdorf 09-06-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemFire (Post 928808)
Do you not think heat is always required if you can apply enough torque?. I wondered about a modified ER40 collet chuck and correct sized collet.

If you do not heat it up you won't be able to loosen the Locktite the factory uses and if you try to wrench it off, you have a high chance of messing up the shotgun.

Do not try to do it without applying heat as in the video.

msup752 09-06-2012 12:44 PM

I used a butane jewelry torch and it took several minutes to heat it up. It will discolor the finish while it is hot but after it cooled, there was no problems with the finish.
Use heat, do not try to torque past the LocTite or a very expensive gun can be damaged.
The Comp Carrier tube matches the original finish perfectly.

RemFire 09-06-2012 01:03 PM

Thanks, just bought a cheap butane torch. But if it wouldn’t have turned without modest effort then I wouldn’t have gone any further until seeking more advice.

Mine is a Hatsan so not as expensive to goof up, but they are very similarly made to the Benelli by the looks of it. I will be removing the flange type piece which holds the fore-end in position as I think that should help with access etc.

mountainman13 09-06-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemFire
Thanks, just bought a cheap butane torch. But if it wouldn’t have turned without modest effort then I wouldn’t have gone any further until seeking more advice.

Mine is a Hatsan so not as expensive to goof up, but they are very similarly made to the Benelli by the looks of it. I will be removing the flange type piece which holds the fore-end in position as I think that should help with access etc.

Be very careful with the torch. It'll mess up your finish real fast.