Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Unknown Shotgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/unknown-shotgun-94630/)

TrangTuan 07-29-2013 06:11 PM

Unknown Shotgun

Howdy Guys,

Just a supprise on my eye today, as i went to my local pawn shop, just looking around and in the corner of my eye, i saw an shotgun with old wooden stock and grip, and i look at the price tag, 1 of them is $60.00 and the other one is $90.00.

I can't believe my eye how dirt cheap the shotgun is lol at pawnshop. Yes i know is risky cause it might be broken or something damage internal and hard to fix and all sort of crazy idea you can put it, Or it can be a minor fix? like shell extractor problem?.

What is the chances of the shotgun will work?

I'm thinking of buying one and see the result?

Any idea guys? (I don't have a shotgun yet, and this might be a good chance of me owning one? or just buy it and sell for more lol)

c3shooter 07-29-2013 08:38 PM

Chances are 50/50. It either works, or it does not.

Note of caution- do you know what a damascus barreled shotgun is?

TrangTuan 07-29-2013 09:17 PM

Thanks.
Wish i do, but no i don't know what that is.

c3shooter 07-29-2013 10:26 PM

Back in the days of black powder, low pressure shotguns, barrels were made by heating thin strips of steel, wrapping them around a rod (the mandrel) re-heating them, and hammer welding the strips.

Each of the thousands of welds in such a barrel is a potential weak point, especially when the corrosion common with black powder is added in. If fired with modern ammo, a weakened Damascus barrel can come unwelded, doing an imitation of a hand grenade.

Is that what you are looking at? Don't know- neither do you. Your description gives us NO info to work from. I HAVE bought decent, used utility grade shotguns for under $100- and they are out there- but without more info, and we can do is guess.

And if we were that good at guessing, we would be down at 7-11 buying a lottery ticket.

Axxe55 07-29-2013 10:35 PM

pictures in good focus, model numbers and markings help a lot.

i too have picked up some decent firearms for cheap that were in good working order, but were cosmetically challenged. a good clean-up and refinishing brought them back to life for not much money.

so if you know what you are looking at, have a little knowledge about the gun in question, then sometimes ther are some diamonds in the rough out there.

orangello 07-29-2013 11:10 PM

The Mossberg 500 pump that I picked up for $100 at the pawn shop on the way to hunt doves still works just fine...still fairly ugly too. It is a pre-1978 model I got in 1995.

DrumJunkie 07-29-2013 11:31 PM

No name or model number on them?

bobski 07-30-2013 02:03 AM

bet they are stevens crack shots.....

hiwall 07-30-2013 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobski (Post 1319667)
bet they are stevens crack shots.....

Bet they are not as crack shots are rifles.

303tom 07-30-2013 04:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrangTuan (Post 1319320)
Thanks.
Wish i do, but no i don't know what that is.

Damascus Barrels look like this !.................