Universal Firearms Double Wing 10 Ga SXS
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Universal Firearms Double Wing 10 Ga SXS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Universal Firearms Double Wing 10 Ga SXS

Import of this gun, made in Spain, was discontinued in the late 80's. Does anyone know if it is safe to shoot steel in it? Weighs about 10 pounds, 32 inch barrels. Thank you.
Heidi

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2011, 11:17 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi1 View Post
Import of this gun, made in Spain, was discontinued in the late 80's. Does anyone know if it is safe to shoot steel in it? Weighs about 10 pounds, 32 inch barrels. Thank you.
Heidi
First, Hello, Heidi. Welcome to the forum. Years ago, my grandparents lived in Brighton.

Second, most new members stop by the Introductions section so the forum members can get to know them a bit. It is up to you.

Third, I don't know much about that shotty, but I am sure someone does. I am not sure why you are worried about shooting steel shot through it, but I understand knowing for sure.

Fourth, in what condition is the shotgun? If in doubt of anything about it, take it to a gunsmith and have it checked out.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-30-2011, 02:23 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2860 Times on 1490 Posts
Likes Given: 254

How are the barrels choked. Full is generally considered the first indicator that No Steel is recommended. If they are choked modified, maybe.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-30-2011, 04:35 AM   #4

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

why can't you shoot steel through full chokes? In most chokes the pattern is registered for lead, but when you shoot steel shot through it the pattern will actually be slightly looser.

a choke that shoots lead in a modified size pattern will shoot steel in an improved cylinder pattern...so steel through full should be modified....

Old 01-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My full choke actually says "No Steel".

Old 01-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2860 Times on 1490 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy View Post
why can't you shoot steel through full chokes? In most chokes the pattern is registered for lead, but when you shoot steel shot through it the pattern will actually be slightly looser.

a choke that shoots lead in a modified size pattern will shoot steel in an improved cylinder pattern...so steel through full should be modified....
#1 steel shot does not deform like lead in the choke so pressures rise, sometimes to dangerous levels. Full chokes are therefor ill advised with steel shot.

#2 After steel shot became mandatory, most makers of water fowl shotguns changed their chokes to modified or sometimes improved modified. If it is full choked, it is therefore probably pre-steel shot and suspect with steel shot.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
First, Hello, Heidi. Welcome to the forum. Years ago, my grandparents lived in Brighton.

Second, most new members stop by the Introductions section so the forum members can get to know them a bit. It is up to you.

Third, I don't know much about that shotty, but I am sure someone does. I am not sure why you are worried about shooting steel shot through it, but I understand knowing for sure.

Fourth, in what condition is the shotgun? If in doubt of anything about it, take it to a gunsmith and have it checked out.
Hi SC & All?,
Not sure how this works for replies, but...
Thanks for the prompt replies.
I suspect that the gun is unsafe for steel, but wanted some more opinions.
Both barrels are Full according to my little handy dandy Guage/choke tool.
The gun is being put up for sale and I want to advise any buyer about safety.
Nice icon.
Heidi1