Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Universal Firearms Double Wing 10 Ga SXS (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/universal-firearms-double-wing-10-ga-sxs-37612/)

heidi1 01-29-2011 10:54 PM

Universal Firearms Double Wing 10 Ga SXS
 
Import of this gun, made in Spain, was discontinued in the late 80's. Does anyone know if it is safe to shoot steel in it? Weigh:cool:s about 10 pounds, 32 inch barrels. Thank you.
Heidi

skullcrusher 01-29-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heidi1 (Post 432392)
Import of this gun, made in Spain, was discontinued in the late 80's. Does anyone know if it is safe to shoot steel in it? Weigh:cool:s about 10 pounds, 32 inch barrels. Thank you.
Heidi

First, Hello, Heidi. Welcome to the forum. Years ago, my grandparents lived in Brighton. :)

Second, most new members stop by the Introductions section so the forum members can get to know them a bit. It is up to you.

Third, I don't know much about that shotty, but I am sure someone does. I am not sure why you are worried about shooting steel shot through it, but I understand knowing for sure.

Fourth, in what condition is the shotgun? If in doubt of anything about it, take it to a gunsmith and have it checked out.

robocop10mm 01-30-2011 02:23 AM

How are the barrels choked. Full is generally considered the first indicator that No Steel is recommended. If they are choked modified, maybe.

TimL2952 01-30-2011 04:35 AM

why can't you shoot steel through full chokes? In most chokes the pattern is registered for lead, but when you shoot steel shot through it the pattern will actually be slightly looser.

a choke that shoots lead in a modified size pattern will shoot steel in an improved cylinder pattern...so steel through full should be modified....

suprdave 01-30-2011 12:34 PM

My full choke actually says "No Steel".

robocop10mm 01-30-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy (Post 432594)
why can't you shoot steel through full chokes? In most chokes the pattern is registered for lead, but when you shoot steel shot through it the pattern will actually be slightly looser.

a choke that shoots lead in a modified size pattern will shoot steel in an improved cylinder pattern...so steel through full should be modified....

#1 steel shot does not deform like lead in the choke so pressures rise, sometimes to dangerous levels. Full chokes are therefor ill advised with steel shot.

#2 After steel shot became mandatory, most makers of water fowl shotguns changed their chokes to modified or sometimes improved modified. If it is full choked, it is therefore probably pre-steel shot and suspect with steel shot.

heidi1 01-30-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 432399)
First, Hello, Heidi. Welcome to the forum. Years ago, my grandparents lived in Brighton. :)

Second, most new members stop by the Introductions section so the forum members can get to know them a bit. It is up to you.

Third, I don't know much about that shotty, but I am sure someone does. I am not sure why you are worried about shooting steel shot through it, but I understand knowing for sure.

Fourth, in what condition is the shotgun? If in doubt of anything about it, take it to a gunsmith and have it checked out.

Hi SC & All?,
Not sure how this works for replies, but...
Thanks for the prompt replies.
I suspect that the gun is unsafe for steel, but wanted some more opinions.
Both barrels are Full according to my little handy dandy Guage/choke tool.
The gun is being put up for sale and I want to advise any buyer about safety.
Nice icon.
Heidi1


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:58 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.