the ugly truth to registered skeet and trap - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

the ugly truth to registered skeet and trap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 997 Times on 773 Posts

rkb nailed it.
new comers are the cash cows.

purpose of this thread isnt to call matches a rip off. its designed to show people that the cost of attending these typical sanctioned matches is in some cases out of reach to most and odds of winning are slim.

that goes for any shooting event.
you have those that make a living doing it. and there are some that pick up the tab for those that make a living doing it.

the lure is...huge pay outs attract those that like to win. (over achievers, type a's,) and it takes a lot to want to travel 3000 miles for an event spending thousands of dollars doing it.

ok, for those that cant afford that level of competition on a national scale...you have your state or local events.

same lure is used though.... cash pay outs and the title of champ etc...

but the sport is hurting. memberships are down.

reason????

the cash cows got smart.

and now you know why i offer ftf shoots. you can get a taste of big buck shooting for a fraction the cost, and you wont get laughed off the range with your grandpa's gun.

with the cost of shooting on the rise....more creative ways are needed to keep people shooting. not scaring them away with entry fees in the 100's or in some cases...the thousands.

shooting is fun, but its not the nfl or mlb.

and there are enough old guns out there that can do the job...instead of the new italian race cars being imported as the best thing since puffed rice.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/6th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-9-10-2015-a-114464/

Last edited by bobski; 06-16-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:44 PM   #12

another point is...when clubs bite into the high dollar shooting industry....they need to maintain income or lose support. so managers desperately try to lure people to their shoot or get fired. they must cater and bend over backwards to demanding shooters....who grade shoots based on the last one they shot last week somewhere else.

the crabs were raw, the bbq wasnt tasty, parking was bad, machines broke, money purses were low, etc...

host clubs try so hard and still sometimes come up short. and its so big...no one knows you. they will remember your score before they will remember your name. or they will remember the car you drove in with.

everyone looked me up and down when i showed up at the world shoot with a 3200 remington with purbaugh tubes in a 28" gun. it wasnt vogue. but it got me a gold medal.

and with that experience, i promised id always remember humble beginnings and tip my hat and offer my knowledge to the beginner and person who is out of fashion. ive met a quality of people the big time operations have missed.

or should i say...ignored.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/6th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-9-10-2015-a-114464/

Last edited by bobski; 06-16-2014 at 03:52 PM.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:59 PM   #13

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
rkb nailed it.
new comers are the cash cows.

purpose of this thread isnt to call matches a rip off. its designed to show people that the cost of attending these typical sanctioned matches is in some cases out of reach to most and odds of winning are slim.

that goes for any shooting event.
you have those that make a living doing it. and there are some that pick up the tab for those that make a living doing it.

the lure is...huge pay outs attract those that like to win. (over achievers, type a's,) and it takes a lot to want to travel 3000 miles for an event spending thousands of dollars doing it.

ok, for those that cant afford that level of competition on a national scale...you have your state or local events.

same lure is used though.... cash pay outs and the title of champ etc...

but the sport is hurting. memberships are down.

reason????

the cash cows got smart.

and now you know why i offer ftf shoots. you can get a taste of big buck shooting for a fraction the cost, and you wont get laughed off the range with your grandpa's gun.

with the cost of shooting on the rise....more creative ways are needed to keep people shooting. not scaring them away with entry fees in the 100's or in some cases...the thousands.

shooting is fun, but its not the nfl or mlb.

and there are enough old guns out there that can do the job...instead of the new italian race cars being imported as the best thing since puffed rice.
Most people who do all that traveling have a sponsor or a benefactor. It is hard to keep a job when you are gone all summer shooting various matches. In the 80's I shot in a qualifying tournament for the US national team (skeet). The ones that could really stand up to the preparation, practice and travel had a team and big money behind them.

Most people are far better off and will have more fun putting up $20 each with some friends to have an informal match. No one gets hurt financially and you get better practice when there are a few shekels on the line.

I never started shooting really well until I started shooting for cash. I would imagine most people are the same way. You are going to quit giving it your all in inclement weather or when you get tired if you have no incentive to keep going.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #14

and thats the problem. cash becomes the draw, not the desire to shoot well.
when cash is on the line, more people will use the rule book as a weapon and cheat to win.
like any sport....the focus becomes blurred.
i was ranked 57 in the world. it wasnt my goal to achieve that. it just happened as a result of practice and commitment shooting on the navy team. the result was i was given an invite to tryout for the olympics in 95-96.
if i was obbessed to be 56 or higher the next year...with no reason in mind other than to do it....the lure would have controlled me. instead, i controlled it...and retired, knowing id be too old to make the olympic team in 2000.

i never had a desire to (be someone.) whatever i became just happened. i had more fun and more serious shooting, representing the navy....rather than myself. whatever personal awards i won were bi-products, to the navy being 1st.

Last edited by bobski; 06-16-2014 at 09:56 PM.
RKB Likes This 
Old 06-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #15

john.....you seriously got to come to one of our shoots. we can use your expertise. and besides, we want to offer you a chance to relax with us. granted carolina is hard to beat...but we got cows and tractors. so we aint 1/2 bad. :>

Old 06-17-2014, 01:44 AM   #16

heres a quick 250 birds in one day............
when you shoot numbers like this, the extra cost for a well built gun starts to make sense...when 4,000.00 is on the line.
so all you guys that shoot 25 trap and 25 handicaps at my shoot...no complaining! :>

=============================

DOWNERS GROVE SPORTSMENS CLUB JULY 6TH JAY MARQUARD HANDICAP SHOOT NOW UP ON PRE-SQUAD

100 16 YARD TARGETS

100 HANDICAP TARGETS

50 PAIR DOUBLES (Will be shot concurrently with Singles & Handicap)

PERPETUAL PURSE OVER $4,000

Old 06-17-2014, 05:28 AM   #17

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
and thats the problem. cash becomes the draw, not the desire to shoot well.
when cash is on the line, more people will use the rule book as a weapon and cheat to win.
like any sport....the focus becomes blurred.
i was ranked 57 in the world. it wasnt my goal to achieve that. it just happened as a result of practice and commitment shooting on the navy team. the result was i was given an invite to tryout for the olympics in 95-96.
if i was obbessed to be 56 or higher the next year...with no reason in mind other than to do it....the lure would have controlled me. instead, i controlled it...and retired, knowing id be too old to make the olympic team in 2000.

i never had a desire to (be someone.) whatever i became just happened. i had more fun and more serious shooting, representing the navy....rather than myself. whatever personal awards i won were bi-products, to the navy being 1st.
You can cull the ones that are not like minded. There are a zillion ways but the easiest way to cull them is tell them you are shooting a freeze out. After they get the cold shoulder a few times they won't ask anymore.

We shoot to have fun. We all are to old or banged up to get serious. If you have some guy saying that bird doesn't count your toe is on the line, it takes the fun out of it. Most of the people I shoot with the pot doesn't matter. They just threw out some money to get good competition.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #18

im still going to have a shirt made up where it says....'WAS' on back.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #19

heres a classic..........

Nora Ross is holding a 2 day Trap shooting clinic on July 5- 6 at Gateway Gun Club in Bridgeton MO.
only 2 spot left so if you are interested please call asap. day 1 singles- day 2 handicap and doubles
Mitch Hoffman 314-780-1328 or pm me for more info
cost $300 (shells and targets fees shooters responsibility)

Old 06-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #20

thats just trap!

ftf guys get skeet, trap, int skeet, and a bunch more!