Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   ugh... I need help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/ugh-i-need-help-86825/)

ScottA 03-18-2013 03:03 AM

ugh... I need help

So out shooting clays with a couple friends this afternoon. Happy to say that the new Mossberg 930 works flawlessly. Today was the first day I had chance to shoot it since I got it the day after Christmas.

Bad news... I couldn't hit crap.

So what's your recommendations for busting more clays?

kfox75 03-18-2013 06:40 AM

Switch to a larger choke.
get an old Nintendo and play duck hunt.
Check the fit of your 930, and see if it is right for you.
Or buy some 12 gauge tracers so you can see where you are shooting, and where you pattern is. That will help you with picking a choke, and your accuracy should improve.

That's about all I've got.

c3shooter 03-18-2013 08:14 AM

Work on your swing. Swing in same direction of travel, trigger as sights align with bird, but the continued swing will give you the needed lead to put shot in the path of the bird.

Virginian 03-18-2013 10:49 AM

Well, not having seen anything about your style, I will still say with a decent amount of confidence; use more lead. Darned few targets are missed in front.
Years ago I was on a "Governor's Day" dove hunt. I was smoking them pretty good, and the Governor and his lovely Springer Spaniel, couldn't hit squat. Finally he walked over to me and asked for some advice. I watched him shoot. I said, "More lead."
He replied, "But, I'm yada yada yada already." I know I was speechless for many seconds. Finally I mustered up the power of speech again.
"You did walk over here and ask me what to do, didn't you?"
"You have a point," he grinned.
"Try about twice as much lead as you think you need," I replied. I had seen where he was shooting.
He killed the next dove and the look on his face was priceless. I know the dog was relieved, too.

Gatoragn 03-18-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginian (Post 1180738)
Well, not having seen anything about your style, I will still say with a decent amount of confidence; use more lead. Darned few targets are missed in front.
Years ago I was on a "Governor's Day" dove hunt. I was smoking them pretty good, and the Governor and his lovely Springer Spaniel, couldn't hit squat. Finally he walked over to me and asked for some advice. I watched him shoot. I said, "More lead."
He replied, "But, I'm yada yada yada already." I know I was speechless for many seconds. Finally I mustered up the power of speech again.
"You did walk over here and ask me what to do, didn't you?"
"You have a point," he grinned.
"Try about twice as much lead as you think you need," I replied. I had seen where he was shooting.
He killed the next dove and the look on his face was priceless. I know the dog was relieved, too.

Was it Edwin Ewards? :D

gvw3 03-18-2013 08:05 PM

Were you shooting skeet or trap? With skeet you need to lead the clay but with trap and a field gun such as yours I shoot right at the clay. For me skeet was harder than trap.

orangello 03-18-2013 08:10 PM

Maybe put some kite string on the clays to keep them in a confined area?

eatmydust 03-18-2013 08:26 PM

Close your eyes, shoulder the 930 and lay your head against the stock as if you were going to shoot it'

If all you see is the bead above the receiver, work on your swing and try a larger choke.

If you see plenty of rib between receiver and bead, you need to do one of following; buy a slimmer stock, remove wood from the stock where it contacts your cheek, squeeze your face down lower on the stock, buy a new gun or lose a few lbs.

If you can't see the bead just above the receiver, adjust the position of your face to the stock until you can see the bead just above the rec.

shadecorp 03-18-2013 10:05 PM

Follow Through
Back when I shot Trap and Skeet
I had a Trap Gun and a Skeet Gun.
They each have a different type of stock
and barrels.
Anyway,
Follow Through,
Most beginers stop the swing when they pull the trigger.
Keep the gun in motion.
Follow Through.

Virginian 03-18-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatoragn (Post 1180740)
Was it Edwin Ewards? :D

It was John Dalton in Virginia. I remember when it was because my daughter was born the next day, and my wife was pissed I went dove hunting. Hey, she wasn't due until the next day. :)