Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Two (limbsaver) butt pads? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/two-limbsaver-butt-pads-23488/)

Lindenwood 02-16-2010 05:04 PM

Two (limbsaver) butt pads?

Has anyone tried this? I thought about doing this, or at least "shimming" under the limbsaver with some softer foam or rubber or something. My main concern would be the butt being so flimsy that the pad(s) fold sideways during shooting, perhaps tearing the top slip-on pad, or causing the gun to hit me in the shooting arm's bicep, or even just required me to continually reset the stock on my shoulder after firing.

Just interested in getting a little more recoil reduction while keeping the original stock.

jpattersonnh 02-17-2010 11:14 AM

I have one on my 7mm Rem Mag. Works great. I don't use one on my shotguns. You can buy a slip on. I use one on my heavy recoiling Military rifles, that way I don't modify them in any way. It also helps if you have ape arms. Adds that 1" to length of pull for mutant types.

Lindenwood 02-17-2010 12:51 PM

I do have a Limbsaver slip-on, but was just wondering about increasing the recoil reduction primarily for muzzle control in general, and more comfort prone / benched slug use.

jpattersonnh 02-17-2010 01:20 PM

This may be a better option.
MERCURY RECOIL SUPPRESSORS, SUPPRESSORS THAT USE MERCURY, RECOIL REDUCTION, REDUCE RECOIL IN SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES

jimbobpissypants 02-17-2010 09:04 PM

I have tried that on one of my clays guns. It did not go well. Too much slop during the mount. Too spongy once it was mounted. I fooled around with several configs. Finally gave up and bought better adjustable butt pad.

jpattersonnh 02-17-2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbobpissypants (Post 232045)
I have tried that on one of my clays guns. It did not go well. Too much slop during the mount. Too spongy once it was mounted. I fooled around with several configs. Finally gave up and bought better adjustable butt pad.

The limbsaver or the Mercury tube??

DarinCraft 02-18-2010 01:55 AM

Are you talking about buying two recoil pads; screwing one onto the buttstock and then screwing the second one onto the first one?

If you are, there would be several problems.

1) the LOP would be about 2" longer than the original, making it awkward.

2) When mounting the second, you would either...
a) use LOOOOONG enough screws to go through the first pad which would essentially eliminate the benefits of the first one and you would have two screws extending into your shoulder when you pulled the trigger or...
b) screw the second pad into the first pad. In that case as soon as there was any lateral force it would rip the screws out of the first pad. Which is what one of your fears was.

3) It would look kinda' cheesy.

and lastly what the hell are you shooting that you need two recoil pads...a friggin' shoulder mounted howitzer?:eek::D

mrm14 02-18-2010 02:08 AM

They make 1/2" thick and 1" thick Decel pads.

Why dont you just go to a 1" Decel Pad?

Also, you'll screw off your length of pull (LOP) if you stack too much in pads, like DarenCraft said.

Hell, you may even have to trim off some of the butt stock to maintain your proper LOP with a 1" pad.

jimbobpissypants 02-18-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 232075)
The limbsaver or the Mercury tube??

The one I bought was a Morgan adjustable. They come in thicknesses up to 1 1/2 inch(I think).