Turkey Hunting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Turkey Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Turkey Hunting

I used to have a remington turkey gun for years and sold it due to loss of interest in turkey hunting. Now the interest is back and I am wondering what choke in my Remington 870 Express Magnum will be the best choice for turkey hunting?

Josh Blanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #2

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb8815
I used to have a remington turkey gun for years and sold it due to loss of interest in turkey hunting. Now the interest is back and I am wondering what choke in my Remington 870 Express Magnum will be the best choice for turkey hunting?
I've always had luck with kicks choke tubes...how much are you looking to spend

Old 11-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Choke Tube

If I can get away with using my 870 then I will invest in a good choke. Would i be looking more towards a Full choke? My turkey gun was set up for turkey and that was all that was hunted with it so I dont remember what choke I used at the time.

Josh Blanks

Old 11-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #4

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

There are chokes that are made for turkey hunting. They are extra full chokes and they are more expensive than a regular remchoke. The theory behind the extra full choke is that it will make the shot string instead of spread. This string of shot is supposed to make head and neck shots easier. This is just my two cents but it's founded in solid logic. The extra full chokes lose any performance gains by deforming shot. I have shot many a board at turkey shoots. I have never seen an extra full choke that put more shot in the board than a plain ole full choke. The board never lies.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #5

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb8815
If I can get away with using my 870 then I will invest in a good choke. Would i be looking more towards a Full choke? My turkey gun was set up for turkey and that was all that was hunted with it so I dont remember what choke I used at the time.
Yea your 870 will be fine just find you some good shells I like the federal magshok....and you need to find out what your bore size is then find a choke that is .055-.070 restriction for example if your bore is .730 and good choke would be around a .665.....you can use a full choke a kill plenty of turkeys but when you get out past 35-40 yards is when a good choke and shells come in handy

Old 11-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1202 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb8815 View Post
I have a Hastings turkey choke for my 870, it works great with Federal Flight Control turkey loads.

Carlson makes a good turkey choke, I use it in my Benelli SBE II.

I will quit turkey hunting before I shoot another 3.5 inch shell in a pump gun.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you all for the help/advice. I was considering a full choke as well. I have shot the magshock and really like those shells. Thanks again.

Josh Blanks

Old 11-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #8

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb8815 View Post
I used to have a Remington turkey gun for years and sold it due to loss of interest in turkey hunting. Now the interest is back and I am wondering what choke in my Remington 870 Express Magnum will be the best choice for turkey hunting?
Just buy a turkey choke, that is a extended choke with about .670 or so diameter opening.
Here is a good one.

http://www.cabelas.com/barrels-chokes-truglo-gobble-stopper-choke-tube-1.shtml

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

Old 08-09-2013, 03:01 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Personally, I like the Indian creek choke tubes in my Remington 870. I just got a bird this spring, it was just about 55 yards away when I hit it. Ohh, and I use Winchester supreme rounds