Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Turkey Hunting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/turkey-hunting-75851/)

jb8815 11-07-2012 04:04 PM

Turkey Hunting

I used to have a remington turkey gun for years and sold it due to loss of interest in turkey hunting. Now the interest is back and I am wondering what choke in my Remington 870 Express Magnum will be the best choice for turkey hunting?

akers06 11-07-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb8815
I used to have a remington turkey gun for years and sold it due to loss of interest in turkey hunting. Now the interest is back and I am wondering what choke in my Remington 870 Express Magnum will be the best choice for turkey hunting?

I've always had luck with kicks choke tubes...how much are you looking to spend

jb8815 11-07-2012 04:34 PM

Choke Tube

If I can get away with using my 870 then I will invest in a good choke. Would i be looking more towards a Full choke? My turkey gun was set up for turkey and that was all that was hunted with it so I dont remember what choke I used at the time.

Old_Crow 11-07-2012 06:27 PM

There are chokes that are made for turkey hunting. They are extra full chokes and they are more expensive than a regular remchoke. The theory behind the extra full choke is that it will make the shot string instead of spread. This string of shot is supposed to make head and neck shots easier. This is just my two cents but it's founded in solid logic. The extra full chokes lose any performance gains by deforming shot. I have shot many a board at turkey shoots. I have never seen an extra full choke that put more shot in the board than a plain ole full choke. The board never lies.

akers06 11-08-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb8815
If I can get away with using my 870 then I will invest in a good choke. Would i be looking more towards a Full choke? My turkey gun was set up for turkey and that was all that was hunted with it so I dont remember what choke I used at the time.

Yea your 870 will be fine just find you some good shells I like the federal magshok....and you need to find out what your bore size is then find a choke that is .055-.070 restriction for example if your bore is .730 and good choke would be around a .665.....you can use a full choke a kill plenty of turkeys but when you get out past 35-40 yards is when a good choke and shells come in handy

Gatoragn 11-08-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb8815 (Post 1005285)

I have a Hastings turkey choke for my 870, it works great with Federal Flight Control turkey loads.

Carlson makes a good turkey choke, I use it in my Benelli SBE II.

I will quit turkey hunting before I shoot another 3.5 inch shell in a pump gun. :eek:

jb8815 11-08-2012 09:40 PM

Thank you all for the help/advice. I was considering a full choke as well. I have shot the magshock and really like those shells. Thanks again.

7.62 Man 11-08-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb8815 (Post 1005238)
I used to have a Remington turkey gun for years and sold it due to loss of interest in turkey hunting. Now the interest is back and I am wondering what choke in my Remington 870 Express Magnum will be the best choice for turkey hunting?

Just buy a turkey choke, that is a extended choke with about .670 or so diameter opening.
Here is a good one.

http://www.cabelas.com/barrels-chokes-truglo-gobble-stopper-choke-tube-1.shtml

glockfanboy 08-09-2013 03:01 AM

Personally, I like the Indian creek choke tubes in my Remington 870. I just got a bird this spring, it was just about 55 yards away when I hit it. Ohh, and I use Winchester supreme rounds :)