Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > The 'Truck Gun'

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19988 Times on 11362 Posts
Likes Given: 50414

Doc, personally IMO, it's pretty dang nifty! besides it's an $80 shotgun, not a $3000 O/U! i like it, but you like it, and that's the important part. you done good with it!

Old 01-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #12

Liked 572 Times on 304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
I got bored.

I sold a few random accessories i had no use for for $80, and then I bought this NEF single shot 12 gauge for $80 bucks.

We need not get into "blah blah a single shot is a terrible weapon blah blah' but the reason behind this was to have the CHEAPEST, handy-est, lightest, short (not shortest), weapon that can pack the biggest whallop while still maintaining all of the above.

This will live in the truck/camping gear. Any time i go camping/wheeling/backpacking I carry a sidearm, but I am more comfortable with a rifle/shotgun along too. Not to get into some battle with or to survive the apocalypse with, but in the event that i need to fire something with more oomph than a 9mm, .45acp, or whatever I happen to have on my hip. Whether it be against a bear, horse, cougar, man, what-the-heck-ever you want, the math is still the same, and looks like this:

(1) 12 Gauge + (x) 9mm > (x) 9mm.

Sure, a pump gun with more shots is greater than a single shot too, but that isnt my concern. Pump/Semi gun is way too long and way too heavy. My lever action .45-70 is too heavy and too pretty to rattle around in the truck. I dont feel it necessary to bring along the AR or M1A on trips like this for obvious reasons.

Hopefully y'all get the point on that, so, no need for the "should have gotten a 500 and used that." In addition to the above, this was cheap as heck, and fun too!

K, so....

chopped off the barrel to 18.75" (from the breech face), chopped off an inch of the stock. Made a paracord sling, a front swivel stud out of paracord, installed a rear swivel stud, then made a shell holder out of scrap leather and laced it on with paracord. OAL on the shotgun is about 35"-36" I haven't measured.

This thing will kick like a mule, but it'll serve a purpose, and it was fun. this was my first time ever making anything with leather, my 2nd time ever making anything with paracord, and my first time woodworking on a gun, and my first time ever cutting a barrel.

So, total project cost is as follows:
Gun - $0.00
Paracord - $8.00
Leather - $7.00
Sling swivels - $10.00
Total: $25.00

I have pics of all parts of the process if you are interested!
I wish I live in a state that I can have a truck shotgun! I need to move out of Cali, too many gun hating politicians in this state.Especially Feinstein, she is trying to take our rights away but went out and got a carry license for her self! WTF?

Old 01-27-2013, 01:09 AM   #13

Liked 1974 Times on 1172 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Looks like a good practical tool for the job you have in mind. I'd like something similar.

What tools and method did you use for cutting the barrel and cleaning up the muzzle?

Old 01-27-2013, 01:33 AM   #14

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Thats fine if you only need one shell and your targets are all under 28 yards. But what if you are attacked by a mob of crazed gun control Liberals? You will need some fire power.

akm-47.jpg  

Last edited by nitestalker; 01-27-2013 at 01:36 AM.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:59 AM   #15
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1739 Times on 946 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Here is my Truck Gun. H&R 357 mag. Just took the picture. I need to see how to do a para cord sling.

truck-gun-640x480-.jpg  

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-28-2013, 12:06 AM   #16

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, shot it a bunch today and damn my shoulder is sore!

It definitely works, but shoots way high (probably my point of aim is messed up due to losing 9" off the barrel).

image-3662896649.jpg

This was 3 shots of rio low recoil buck at about 12-15 yards. The first shot was way high and about half of it missed.

image-1454011164.jpg

I like it! It's got some attitude though hahaha

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Old 01-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #17

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Dude, the good news is you can put a big, high, bead in the front to lower your POI. Take it to a 'smith and have him port it and do the sight -- you won't be sorry.

Nice setup. Cool Truck Gun even if it's not a .22 Mag.

rossi-mdl-59-taken-down-compressed.jpg  

Old 01-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #18

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
Dude, the good news is you can put a big, high, bead in the front to lower your POI. Take it to a 'smith and have him port it and do the sight -- you won't be sorry.

Nice setup. Cool Truck Gun even if it's not a .22 Mag.
Heck no, I ain't payin nobody to do nothin to it haha, ill figure out a solution on my own I guess.

And yeah, those little Winchester 62's or the Taurus/Rossi clones are pretty handy. I've got that covered....I have this little beaut!

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Old 01-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Yup, i have an INCREDIBLY ugly and worn Rossi like that in .22 magnum. Probably gonna get it coated and hide it in a bugoutbag.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #20

Liked 1084 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
I got bored.

I sold a few random accessories i had no use for for $80, and then I bought this NEF single shot 12 gauge for $80 bucks.

We need not get into "blah blah a single shot is a terrible weapon blah blah' but the reason behind this was to have the CHEAPEST, handy-est, lightest, short (not shortest), weapon that can pack the biggest whallop while still maintaining all of the above.

This will live in the truck/camping gear. Any time i go camping/wheeling/backpacking I carry a sidearm, but I am more comfortable with a rifle/shotgun along too. Not to get into some battle with or to survive the apocalypse with, but in the event that i need to fire something with more oomph than a 9mm, .45acp, or whatever I happen to have on my hip. Whether it be against a bear, horse, cougar, man, what-the-heck-ever you want, the math is still the same, and looks like this:

(1) 12 Gauge + (x) 9mm > (x) 9mm.

Sure, a pump gun with more shots is greater than a single shot too, but that isnt my concern. Pump/Semi gun is way too long and way too heavy. My lever action .45-70 is too heavy and too pretty to rattle around in the truck. I dont feel it necessary to bring along the AR or M1A on trips like this for obvious reasons.

Hopefully y'all get the point on that, so, no need for the "should have gotten a 500 and used that." In addition to the above, this was cheap as heck, and fun too!

K, so....

chopped off the barrel to 18.75" (from the breech face), chopped off an inch of the stock. Made a paracord sling, a front swivel stud out of paracord, installed a rear swivel stud, then made a shell holder out of scrap leather and laced it on with paracord. OAL on the shotgun is about 35"-36" I haven't measured.

This thing will kick like a mule, but it'll serve a purpose, and it was fun. this was my first time ever making anything with leather, my 2nd time ever making anything with paracord, and my first time woodworking on a gun, and my first time ever cutting a barrel.

So, total project cost is as follows:
Gun - $0.00
Paracord - $8.00
Leather - $7.00
Sling swivels - $10.00
Total: $25.00

I have pics of all parts of the process if you are interested!
That will work...............

When all else fails.