Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Tristar O/U (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/tristar-o-u-14558/)

kawiski900 06-07-2009 12:21 PM

Tristar O/U

so I have the chance to pick up a used TriStar over under. What is everyones opinion on this weapon? i will use it for pheasent hunting and also some time at the range shooting clay pigions. It seems to be a ok gun, I know that there are many more high dollar o/u out there but I do not have that kind of money for say a Ruger Red Label o/u, plus why would would I want to beat around a high dollar gun in the field!!
Just looking for your thoughts on this gun!! I currently use a 11-87 as my bird gun and this will replace it. thanks in advance!!
The TriStar is only a year old with about 400-500 of trap rounds shot through it.

stalkingbear 06-16-2009 01:04 PM

Of what I've seen, most of the info I've seen/heard about them are good. There was the 1 that blew while using reloads on an acquaintance of mine however. I would say buy it if it has a good price.

R-BOLT 06-16-2009 06:48 PM

A local guide here has couple of them 28 & 16 gauge I beleive. He said the fit and finish is not up to par with the higher priced O/Us. But a gun well worth the value. He shoots some, but not near what his clients do. He does have a nice collection of firearms and is proud to own a couple of Tristars.

kawiski900 06-19-2009 07:36 PM

Thanks for the replys guys!!! I was beginning to think that I havd asked a bad question!!! I beleive that i will go for it. i knew that the overall fit and finsh are not all that great, but it will be used probably 40-50 times a year fro hunting birds in all types of weather and so forth. I was just wanting to make sure that they held up for people!! Again thanks!!!

tuckr2 02-01-2014 05:07 PM

Tristar O/U

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawiski900 (Post 114171)
so I have the chance to pick up a used TriStar over under. What is everyones opinion on this weapon? i will use it for pheasent hunting and also some time at the range shooting clay pigions. It seems to be a ok gun, I know that there are many more high dollar o/u out there but I do not have that kind of money for say a Ruger Red Label o/u, plus why would would I want to beat around a high dollar gun in the field!!

Just looking for your thoughts on this gun!! I currently use a 11-87 as my bird gun and this will replace it. thanks in advance!!

The TriStar is only a year old with about 400-500 of trap rounds shot through it.

Bought a 20 gauge a couple years ago for my son. Inexpensive 350-500 at that time. Haven't dumped a ton of rounds through it but it has held up well through tow seasons of pheasant hunting. Nice looking, light weight, and has already brought down a couple dozen pheasants. I'm shooting a CZ Redhead O/U 12 gauge currently. The smaller gun is light and easy to carry. No hiccups to date.
Good luck whatever your choice.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

John_Deer 02-05-2014 12:18 AM

I was considering a tristar for a beater gun. I called to see if chokes were available, the tristar rep said if we have them in stock. I changed my mind real quick. I have no use for a gun that getting a set of chokes could be a challenge.

tuckr2 02-05-2014 01:01 AM

They come with 3 chokes, ic, m, full. I'm pretty sure the chokes are either beretta or benelli and can be picked up pretty easily. Have an o/u CZ redhead and it has the same chokes as well.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
Tuckr2 - Ken