Trickin out my Mossberg Maverick. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Trickin out my Mossberg Maverick.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 01:07 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Blackhawk Specops Gen 2 arrived today. Installed easily. Also 1,000 rounds of 9mm ammo arrived. Any guesses where I'll be after work tomorrow? It's like Christmas!!!

Old 06-01-2012, 01:30 AM   #22

Liked 2215 Times on 1301 Posts
Likes Given: 484

If you are setting up for HD and buckshot is your primary ammo, then a bead sight is plenty. I agree that you may want to look into a good weapon light. Surfire 6P with an LED head has been recommended to me by many folks. Mounting may take some creativity. I would want it mounted on the forend but I personally don't want to buy a forend that is fully railed, just to be able to put a light on it. I'm thinking of doing some modifying with a dremel, some epoxy and screws to mount a rail section to a standard forend on my 870. I've had a Mossberg 500 for over 20 years that has been a great shotgun. The Maverick seem very similar, except for the location of the safety. I kept mine simple and really the only mods to it were adding an ammo carrier and sling.

You may want to look into a way of keeping ammo with the gun. Since shotguns face the challenge of holding a pretty limited ammount of ammo, and grabbing it in an emergency, you are basically taking the gun with only the ammo onboard. I have a side saddle on my Mossberg and think it is one of the better methods for keeping rounds with the gun.

Also get out and pattern that thing with a few brands of Buckshot. I've seen dramatic differences in pattern size between standard loads, reduced recoil and reduced pellet loads and Federal's flight control loads. Always good to know what the limitations are for keeping your pellets on the target.

Good luck on the project.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:49 AM   #23

Thanks for the advice. Agree with the ammo/pattern comments. Any experience with reduced recoil loads? I hear they shoot a wider pattern. Not necessarily bad.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator View Post
Thanks for the advice. Agree with the ammo/pattern comments. Any experience with reduced recoil loads? I hear they shoot a wider pattern. Not necessarily bad.
Remmington and Federal reduced recoil loads that I have tried actually seem to shoot tighter patterns. Which in my mind is even a better thing, because I'm of a mind to try to keep all my pellets on a badguy.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #25

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Remmington and Federal reduced recoil loads that I have tried actually seem to shoot tighter patterns.
I agree, most to all low recoil loads pattern tighter than full power. I also found this true experimenting with lighter loads on my 00 buck reloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Which in my mind is even a better thing, because I'm of a mind to try to keep all my pellets on a badguy.
Thank you for including this, I was starting to lose faith around here....amazing what some people believe !

Old 06-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #26

That's interesting. I just watched a video where the low recoil 00 buck, clearly had a much larger pattern than the real stuff.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator View Post
That's interesting. I just watched a video where the low recoil 00 buck, clearly had a much larger pattern than the real stuff.
Which is exactly why a person needs to run ammo through their gun and see how it patterns. Each gun is different. With large shot sometimes a choke that is too tight can actually open patterns up a bit because the shot can get deformed and doesn't fly as true.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli700 View Post
I agree, most to all low recoil loads pattern tighter than full power. I also found this true experimenting with lighter loads on my 00 buck reloads

Thank you for including this, I was starting to lose faith around here....amazing what some people believe !
A lot of folks get their info straight from the net and don't bother to experiment themselves. No one starts out really knowing a lot, and shotguns are a lot more complex than a lot of people give them credit for.

All of the beautiful versatility that that revolves around a shotgun can also cloud peoples level of understanding it as a platform because things are really not that standardized.