Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Trickin out my Mossberg Maverick. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/trickin-out-my-mossberg-maverick-64989/)

danolator 05-23-2012 01:27 AM

Trickin out my Mossberg Maverick.

Hey all. This is my first attempt to convert an inexpensive gun into a more effective home defense device. Have the tactical stock I want on order. Now I move forward and need your help. Flashlight? Change barrel (stock is 18.5")? Sights? Don't care about everyone's advice on 00 Buck going through walls. That just means it goes through people and that's what will be in my gun. So learn me up from there please.

mountainman13 05-23-2012 01:34 AM

I'd say the barrel is fine. Get a reflex sight. I prefer my light separate but if mounting is your preference go for it.

HockaLouis 05-23-2012 12:12 PM

Casting pearls to swine

Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Lipstick on a pig.

danolator 05-23-2012 04:37 PM

Yea, I know it's a cheap gun. More interested in making it better for home defense versus showing it off.

oli700 05-23-2012 06:48 PM

it’s not a cheap gun, just inexpensive. What is you budget for a light ?

HOSSFLY 05-23-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis (Post 811606)
Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Lipstick on a pig.

I would bet there are more Mossys in homes for HD than any other scattergun out there :rolleyes:

danolator 05-23-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oli700
it’s not a cheap gun, just inexpensive. What is you budget for a light ?

Don't have a clue. The stock I ordered cost about $125. Don't even know what sights and lights go for. All new to me. Not sure I need sights, but getting a visual on the target is fairly important.

oli700 05-23-2012 08:46 PM

Yeah, the bead is fully capable to do what you want in HD. Practice with the bead and you will be fast and accurate at HD distances. There is such a wide variety in lights that the money you want to spend on it will play a big part. Come up with a figure on the light and it will be easier to give you advice. The thing to remember is if at all possible get the light in LED ,they deal with recoil much better. Also lights that are deemed weapon lights have some cushioning or are built so that recoil isn’t abusive to the batteries. If the light is plastic that’s fine as long as it meets those requirements, it will last a while. Then there is the different ways to attach the light to the gun.....that depends on the light though

HockaLouis 05-23-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 811902)
I would bet there are more Mossys in homes for HD than any other scattergun out there :rolleyes:

I like Mossbergs but think of Mavericks as kinda disposeable. But I was just being extreme. Then. Now?

A $125 stock on a Maverick? Do they cost that much to begin with!?

Axxe55 05-24-2012 12:26 AM

Dan, if you have the Maverick Model 88, most of the accessories and parts for the Mossberg Model 500 will interchange. the M88 is an economy version of the M500. nothing fancy, nothing pretty, but it works just fine. i have had two of them and have one right now. so look for accessories in Brownell's or MidwayUSA for your shotgun. also look at universal shotgun parts too.