Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Trench Guns? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/trench-guns-41166/)

MilSurpShooterNH 04-12-2011 10:51 AM

Trench Guns?

What in your opinion is the best model Trench Gun? I personally like the Ithica 37 Trench Gun, that or the Stevens Model Trench Gun. Ive also seen that the Mossberg 590a1 is styled almost like a Trech Gun with the ability to attach a bayonet. Im new with shotguns, so forgive me if I seem unintelligent in this field (I figure i could learn more by asking questions anyway right?) Also, what is the point of slam firing? I know the Winchester Model 1897 Trench Gun and the Ithica 37 can both slam fire, but what is the point? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hawg 04-12-2011 11:30 AM

Not much point it slam firing but is kinda neat they do. Check out the Norinco 97. It's a great gun and made from better steel than the Winchesters were.

30-30remchester 04-13-2011 03:03 AM

I have shot every model trench and riot gun and have owned a few and still do. Without a doubt the Winchester model 12 was the preimere trench gun. You will need to know I dont own a model 12 trench gun but do at present own a Winchester 1897 and a Savage trench gun. All are great guns but even the Ithica and 1897 fall behind the model 12 in my book as well as most "experts" on the subject.

MilSurpShooterNH 04-14-2011 05:16 AM

Thank you for the information so far.

So the Norinco is a decent copy then? How much would I be looking to spend on one? Under $500 I presume right?

deathkricket 04-14-2011 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MilSurpShooterNH (Post 486085)
Thank you for the information so far.

So the Norinco is a decent copy then? How much would I be looking to spend on one? Under $500 I presume right?

I was looking into getting a Norinco M1897 a while ago, i talked to a friend of mine that runs a gun store and which i trust and he put it to me like he see's it. the people who love their Norinco's are the people who put them up in their closet and never shoot them, the people who use them like shotguns were ment to be used hate them because of their weak trigger group, the Norinco's have a big problem of having the action bind shut, do a lot of research and read and ask around at local guns stores, if you want one they run in the 350 range i belive it is at buds gunshop, if you want a tough modern shotgun that runs threw hell and still want the trench gun look i suggest a mossberg 590. Thats where i spent my money on a modern gun that holds 8 or 9, can chamber 3" shells and is lightyears stronger then a china knock off.

MilSurpShooterNH 04-14-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathkricket (Post 486147)
I was looking into getting a Norinco M1897 a while ago, i talked to a friend of mine that runs a gun store and which i trust and he put it to me like he see's it. the people who love their Norinco's are the people who put them up in their closet and never shoot them, the people who use them like shotguns were ment to be used hate them because of their weak trigger group, the Norinco's have a big problem of having the action bind shut, do a lot of research and read and ask around at local guns stores, if you want one they run in the 350 range i belive it is at buds gunshop, if you want a tough modern shotgun that runs threw hell and still want the trench gun look i suggest a mossberg 590. Thats where i spent my money on a modern gun that holds 8 or 9, can chamber 3" shells and is lightyears stronger then a china knock off.

Thanks. I was looking into the 590 also. How much did you pay for yours? Does it have the bayonet lug on it or do i have to buy the attachment? Also, what kind of bayo will it fit?

Hawg 04-14-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathkricket (Post 486147)
the people who love their Norinco's are the people who put them up in their closet and never shoot them, the people who use them like shotguns were ment to be used hate them because of their weak trigger group, the Norinco's have a big problem of having the action bind shut,

That's pure dee B.S. I don't have a trench gun but I do have a Norinco 97 clone. it's been used and used a lot without any problems. If you try to operate the slide once it's cocked you have to pust it forward a hair to unlock the bolt just like the Winchester it's copied from. Nothing wrong with the trigger group either. By all means do your research but talk to people that actually have them.

deathkricket 04-15-2011 12:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Sadly i have talked to a few people who own the trench gun model as i do reserch before buying a product that i am unsure about, anyway, a 590 will run you between 450 and 600 depending on what version you get, i have 2 of the basic 9 shot version and they come with the bayonet lug, im not sure of what type of bayonets fit them because mine dont have bayonets, but they do sell the 590 packages that come with bayonets. i paid 475 and 499 for both of mine.