Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Trap/Skeet/Sporting clay advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Trap/Skeet/Sporting clay advise

Good day to all. I am very new to Trap/Skeet/Sporting clay shooting and need advise that you all have probably talked about a lot. I have a Stoeger 12ga, OU 26in. I have shot both trap and skeet once, but find myself after talking to people and reading and watching video's that I long for something different. I think the Stoeger will suffice for now, but never was satisfied with "will suffice". I need some more advice that will confuss me. Ya see I am an older fella and get confussed quite easily. Anyway. I would really appreciate some input on a gun. I would like to stay OU, but have heard a lot about Brownings, Winchesters, Benelli's etc.
Please help with a little advice.
Thanks and really look forward to the future talks.
Ray (Msgt)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #2

Default Trap/Skeet/Sporting clay advise

I have used a Browning Superposed 12 ga. for a long time (bought it in 1960) it has the super tubes also ,20 /28/410.I am a old fella also. The gun has had over 200,000 rounds fired in it ,as I used to shoot 100 rounds ,all gauges every Sat.for a long time. The gun had great balance and moves well .I don't shoot 12 ga. now only 20. ga. lighter .hope this helps

Old 03-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Skeet and Sporting Clays use nearly the same gun--trap is a differrent animal. Not that you can't shoot trap with a skeet gun, it's just not ideal, so if trap is your main sport, you'll probably want to look at an O/U that has a high rib and high comb made for rising targets. If skeet and sporting clays is your main purpose, you have a lot more options, as those can be shot with basically a field gun to expert results. Both sports have moved towards longer barrels in O/Us, with 30 inch being minimum and 32 inch very common now. If looking for one gun to shoot the most, I'd get an O/U made for sporting or skeet in 20 gauge--you can shoot both 12 and 20 gauge events in both skeet and sporting with that gun, and they don't punish you as much as a 12 gauge during 100 round competitions. Browning is a good choice, as is Barretta, SKB, Remington, Winchester, etc. Pick up a few and see what feels best for you--they're all made to high standards today and should give you a lot of shooting without problems. Good luck and enjoy!!

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 03-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #4

Liked 80 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Another old post replied to and the original poster hasn't been around since he posted this on his join date......

Jim.........

Old 03-29-2011, 09:05 PM   #5

Likes Given: 13

Wish I had been around on his join date. No answer might be why he didn't come back.

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy,
I'm not surprised that you agree.

"Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:20 AM   #6

Default skeet/trap

I'd be inclined to stick with 12g -- even 7/8oz loads will work for skeet and 16yard trap -- almost recoil free.

I'd say you can be happy with any of these fine o/u guns in the $2-3k price range-

Browning Citori 625 (heavier weight, traditional)
Browning Cynergy (lighter, more modern)
Beretta 686
Caesar Guerini Summit Sporting

30 or 32" barrells

Check out the website of each of these 3 manufacturers for details.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #7

Likes Given: 13

For registered ATA trap, 12 gauge is the only way to go. Plenty of O/U shotguns being used out on the trap lines, and if a person has the money, four barrel skeet sets to go with them.

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy,
I'm not surprised that you agree.

"Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne.