Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Trap Shooters ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 122 Times on 92 Posts

The only O/U I have ever shot that I can even say I liked was a little Beretta 28 gauge. I did own a Beretta O/U but I couldn't hit a barn standing inside it with that gun, but the guy I sold it to is still happy many years later. I held a CG 28 gauge and it felt good too. I shoot clay pigeons with an 1100 in any gauge but .410, and have no desire to own one of those, period. As for picking up hulls, I need the exercise. If I am lazy I use a magnetic stick.
If you are happy with your gun, that's all that matters. For registered trap, most people prefer a dedicated trap model that prints high.

What could have happened... did.

deg Likes This 
Old 06-25-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 445 Times on 321 Posts
Likes Given: 144

My wife is a dedicated trap shooter,, I myself will shoot a round every now and then to get my eyeballs ready for bird hunting. Those folks that are serious about the sport really dump some coin into their equipment and it really can make a big difference in scores, getting the guns properly fitted and adjusted, which in itself is pricey, much less the cost of a dedicated trap shotgun but even I can tell the difference in shooting a field gun vs. a trap gun.
The wife started of with a little field gun to see if she really wanted to continue the sport,, she moved up to Browning BT's and now shoots a Kreighoff and truthfully her scores reflect using a better gun. Basically it's like someone customizing a rifle or pistol for competition or hunting. The better you and your equipment work together, the better you both perform, just depends on how much one wants to put into the sport, be it clays or targets.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There is a whole lot of expensive Trap guns out and Browning and Beretta (as far as new guns go) are not them. Krieghoff, Seitz, Blaser, Kolar, and Perazzi those are some "EXPENSIVE" Trap guns.
But you get what you pay for.
Look for the features that you want or think you need. You will find that a gun with all those adjustable things on them are harder to shoot if you are not a very good shot already.
Start with a good tried and true Trap gun. Bare in mind many shoots will be 100 round or more so a lite weight gun with a lot of recoil will began to ware you out. An auto ( Remington 1100,Winchester SuperX2 or a Beretta)will help withstanding all those shots in the beginning. Then when you see that you can shoot well then move up.
There are several things that newer guns have to help reduce the recoil and they do work, so look for a newer gun. A lot of the "old" guns where built for the old paper shells, and when you shoot new plastic shells they have very harsh recoil.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:35 AM   #14

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 16

The CZ is the only inexpensive turkish gun that comes recommended by experienced clay shooters. They seem to hold up well. After a year or so you will want to move up to a better gun. I recommend the Browning BT-99. This is a dedicated trap gun and it will improve your game. It did mine. They can be had for $1100 used to $1600 new.

Criminals advocate stronger gun laws to foster a safer work environment. This limits their exposure to risk.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:45 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Remington 1100 I feel is a great trap gun it don't kick to bad and the new 1100 competition has no recoil I shoot 100 + every weekend and don't feel it. Its not to Expensive ether out the door where I buy it cost 1300 with a life time warranty through the gun shop

Old 07-28-2014, 01:53 AM   #16

Liked 676 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Trap for fun is really up to personal choice. I have a $3000 browning Citori. Oddly enough, I can shoot 23-25 with that or my Remington 870. Have to aim a little different with each. But the gun doesn't make the shooter. Being comfortable with it and knowing where it shoots does though.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 07-28-2014, 02:20 AM   #17

Liked 309 Times on 172 Posts

Default Trap Shooters ?

Along the way I had a CZ Ringneck Target side-by-side in .20 GA and it was a great gun. It had choke tubes, 28-inch barrels, single trigger, case colored receiver, and nice engraving details. It always went 'bang' and was a joy to shoot. I wish I still had it.

Last edited by indy36; 07-28-2014 at 04:09 AM.