Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Trap Shooters ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 03:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Trap Shooters ?

A fellow retiree and I recently did some trap shooting, he used to shoot years ago, and I'm just learning. I did shoot a few rds of skeet many yrs ago, but not trap. To make long story shorter, we've both joined a local skeet & trap club, and since my old mod 50 20 ga Winchester wasn't up to the task, I bought a new CZ o/u Canvasback.
I didn't want to spend a lot of money until I am more into the sport, (in case it don't work out). Anyone familiar with CZ's ?
I researched what I could find, and it seems these Turkish made guns have good reviews. It seems to be of pretty good quality, good fit and finish. It shoots well too. I got it at Cabela's, $600.

cz.png  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #2

It should be a good shotgun. I have a DeHaan which is made in Turkey and the quality is really good. I think there is nothing wrong with Turkish guns.
cottontop

Old 06-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop
It should be a good shotgun. I have a DeHaan which is made in Turkey and the quality is really good. I think there is nothing wrong with Turkish guns.
cottontop
My buddy just picked up a dehaan for skeet. Nice gun.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #4

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

not to be an ass but most of shooting clays is the person behind the gun not always the gun but sometimes it can be. I use to shoot with a winchester single shot full choke and didn't do to well as there was my uncle who had a $800 benelli and he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if he was kissing it.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 06-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Yeah, some people have problems w skeet shooting. Picking your head up or failure to keep the barrel moving are very common. Good equipment makes the job easier and great equipment is a joy to use.

Baretta, Browning etc, are expensive but they hold their value.

I say, be different and shoot a Rem 1100 28 ga Sporting Edition. Great for skeet, not sure about trap but very easy on the shoulder.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Yeah, some people have problems w skeet shooting. Picking your head up or failure to keep the barrel moving are very common. Good equipment makes the job easier and great equipment is a joy to use.

Baretta, Browning etc, are expensive but they hold their value.

I say, be different and shoot a Rem 1100 28 ga Sporting Edition. Great for skeet, not sure about trap but very easy on the shoulder.
Yeah, I've shot my buddy's 1100, and it's sooo much easier on my shoulder than my O/U. I guess with a better recoil pad, and time, it will get a little more comfortable.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Rem 1100 are classics - I've got a Ducks Unlimited 11-87 in 20 ga and it is easy on my shoulder as well but no where near a 28 gauge. Only problem w 28 ga is the price of ammo.

O/U still reign supreme - no one likes to have to pick up their shells later. O/U - Easy to clean plus simplicity & reliability go hand n hand. Tube sets allow users to switch gauges at will - Wish I had one ! But when it comes to recoil mgt, autos w good recoil pads are second to none.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #8

As far as an O/U and recoil goes, just go to a lighter load; via reloading that is. As far as the cost of 28 ga. ammo, once again, reloading solves the problem. About picking up shells, some clubs don't even allow it. If it hits the ground, it is theirs.
cottontop

Old 06-25-2014, 03:06 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would agree that its completely the shooter behind the weapon.
I'm 16 and just started shooting Clays this year. I had previously been a rifle person and still am but wanted something different.
I use a 60 year old 870 Wingmaster Magnum with a 30 inch Fixed Full choke, the but pad dried up decades ago and is now hard as a rock but I am now shooting 3 Dram 1 1/8 Oz. Loads all day and am consistently shooting 24's and 25's.

Suffer Patiently...
Patiently Suffer.....

Old 06-25-2014, 03:54 AM   #10
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 326 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrezidentGrant View Post
I would agree that its completely the shooter behind the weapon.
I'm 16 and just started shooting Clays this year. I had previously been a rifle person and still am but wanted something different.
I use a 60 year old 870 Wingmaster Magnum with a 30 inch Fixed Full choke, the but pad dried up decades ago and is now hard as a rock but I am now shooting 3 Dram 1 1/8 Oz. Loads all day and am consistently shooting 24's and 25's.

Suffer Patiently...
Patiently Suffer.....
Wow! You DA Man! Stick with it partner!

"Don't believe all quotes you read on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

tonydewar Likes This