Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Trap Shooters ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/trap-shooters-65824/)

Harleygunner 06-05-2012 03:49 AM

Trap Shooters ?

1 Attachment(s)
A fellow retiree and I recently did some trap shooting, he used to shoot years ago, and I'm just learning. I did shoot a few rds of skeet many yrs ago, but not trap. To make long story shorter, we've both joined a local skeet & trap club, and since my old mod 50 20 ga Winchester wasn't up to the task, I bought a new CZ o/u Canvasback.
I didn't want to spend a lot of money until I am more into the sport, (in case it don't work out). Anyone familiar with CZ's ?
I researched what I could find, and it seems these Turkish made guns have good reviews. It seems to be of pretty good quality, good fit and finish. It shoots well too. I got it at Cabela's, $600.

cottontop 06-05-2012 03:28 PM

It should be a good shotgun. I have a DeHaan which is made in Turkey and the quality is really good. I think there is nothing wrong with Turkish guns.
cottontop

mountainman13 06-05-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottontop
It should be a good shotgun. I have a DeHaan which is made in Turkey and the quality is really good. I think there is nothing wrong with Turkish guns.
cottontop

My buddy just picked up a dehaan for skeet. Nice gun.

unclebear 06-05-2012 05:24 PM

not to be an ass but most of shooting clays is the person behind the gun not always the gun but sometimes it can be. I use to shoot with a winchester single shot full choke and didn't do to well as there was my uncle who had a $800 benelli and he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if he was kissing it.

Gonzilla 06-06-2012 11:50 PM

Yeah, some people have problems w skeet shooting. Picking your head up or failure to keep the barrel moving are very common. Good equipment makes the job easier and great equipment is a joy to use.

Baretta, Browning etc, are expensive but they hold their value.

I say, be different and shoot a Rem 1100 28 ga Sporting Edition. Great for skeet, not sure about trap but very easy on the shoulder.

Harleygunner 06-07-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzilla (Post 827407)
Yeah, some people have problems w skeet shooting. Picking your head up or failure to keep the barrel moving are very common. Good equipment makes the job easier and great equipment is a joy to use.

Baretta, Browning etc, are expensive but they hold their value.

I say, be different and shoot a Rem 1100 28 ga Sporting Edition. Great for skeet, not sure about trap but very easy on the shoulder.

Yeah, I've shot my buddy's 1100, and it's sooo much easier on my shoulder than my O/U. I guess with a better recoil pad, and time, it will get a little more comfortable.

Gonzilla 06-08-2012 08:18 PM

Rem 1100 are classics - I've got a Ducks Unlimited 11-87 in 20 ga and it is easy on my shoulder as well but no where near a 28 gauge. Only problem w 28 ga is the price of ammo.

O/U still reign supreme - no one likes to have to pick up their shells later. O/U - Easy to clean plus simplicity & reliability go hand n hand. Tube sets allow users to switch gauges at will - Wish I had one ! But when it comes to recoil mgt, autos w good recoil pads are second to none.

cottontop 06-08-2012 09:32 PM

As far as an O/U and recoil goes, just go to a lighter load; via reloading that is. As far as the cost of 28 ga. ammo, once again, reloading solves the problem. About picking up shells, some clubs don't even allow it. If it hits the ground, it is theirs.
cottontop

PrezidentGrant 06-25-2014 03:06 AM

I would agree that its completely the shooter behind the weapon.
I'm 16 and just started shooting Clays this year. I had previously been a rifle person and still am but wanted something different.
I use a 60 year old 870 Wingmaster Magnum with a 30 inch Fixed Full choke, the but pad dried up decades ago and is now hard as a rock but I am now shooting 3 Dram 1 1/8 Oz. Loads all day and am consistently shooting 24's and 25's.

Suffer Patiently...
Patiently Suffer.....

deg 06-25-2014 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrezidentGrant (Post 1595281)
I would agree that its completely the shooter behind the weapon.
I'm 16 and just started shooting Clays this year. I had previously been a rifle person and still am but wanted something different.
I use a 60 year old 870 Wingmaster Magnum with a 30 inch Fixed Full choke, the but pad dried up decades ago and is now hard as a rock but I am now shooting 3 Dram 1 1/8 Oz. Loads all day and am consistently shooting 24's and 25's.

Suffer Patiently...
Patiently Suffer.....

Wow! You DA Man! Stick with it partner!