Trap choke question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Trap choke question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 04:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Trap choke question

Hello,
I want to buy my first shotgun, it will be for trap shooting.
i was really leaning toward the Remington 1100
but i don't understand all the choke choices, that is, what the differences are between 'full, modified, improved cylinder, etc..
all the 1100's i have seen have fixed chokes of different types, will this automatically not work for trap shooting, do you need to be able to change the choke? I did some shooting with a friend, and im pretty sure he was using an 1100, but it could have been modified so i don't know

thanks for your help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2009, 12:36 AM   #2

Liked 132 Times on 102 Posts

First, "Trap" is a specific game. Are you going to be shooting that game, or just clay pigeons in general? Skeet is another specific game, and Sporting clays is another. I do not mean to be insulting, but so many people seem to think clay pigeons are 'traps' or skeets' anymore.
Improved cylinder is a fairly open choke, which means it allows the pattern to open up to be at optimum effectiveness sooner - say 25 to 30 yards. Full holds the shot tighter for better effectiveness at longer ranges - like 40 yards. Modified is in between.
You do not necessarily need a barrel with changable choke tubes, but they do add versatility. If you get an 1100 with a fixed choke, modified is usually fine for non-handicap trap, and many people use full for all trap shooting. As/If you get better and move back, you can get a tighter choked barrel to reach out further, or you can get another barrel with screw in chokes. If you get an 1100 made since 1987, you will likely get a RemChoke barrel with it.
Some people (like me) like the old fixed choke barrels for shooting clay pigeons. I use a barrel with screw in chokes suitable for steel or tungsten for waterfowl hunting.
I am sure someone will trip over themselves to tell you you need a Beretta/Mossberg/Stoeger/Benelli et al, but a man with an 1100 is in good shape shooting at just about anything. I know - I have been since 1963.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:49 AM   #3

Before you buy a "trap gun" you need to go out to a trap shoot and figure out what a trap gun is all about. They're DEDICATED, and very specialized. Trap guns are for trap shooting and nothing else. And they're spendy.

I got a Browning Citori, 425, adj. comb. $1500 used. It's a Skeet/clays gun, 28" barrel and won't work worth a damn for trap.

Briley adj. titanium chokes for the gun. I spent $100 for two, and had two others which came with the gun. I'm set for skeet/clays, but it's not a trap gun.

I was spending $300 mo. shooting trap. It's not a cheap hobby. And I suck at it, so I stopped.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #4

I will agree that trap and skeet are different animals. I do however also believe that if a gun fit's you, it doesn't matter what you're shooting, from teal, doves or rabbits. The key is fit and shoulder mount considency. I'm not saying that a professional that only shoots one particular sport or game shouldn't cater to that game, per gun. But a real hunter needs options and considency in delivery. My personal arsenal are guns that fit me and shoot point of aim when shouldered. It's really isn't that hard the get a gun intune with your individual habits and traits. Now if you have a bad habit or traits that need to be changed to improve shooting, that can be a whole differnet challenge. Just don't go out and spend $2000 on a trap gun and expect to go out shoot the whole club, very rare and just ain't going to happen it takes practice, practice, experience, maybe changes and practice and practice, experience, and practice. Kinda get the idea? A local shooter to help guide and maybe lead you in the correct path would be of great help as well. Check your local clubs and shops for some pointers of the people to talk to. Good luck to you and your adventure.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:43 AM   #5

Trap shooting is NOT about "hunting" . . . It's about trap shooting. And it takes a trap gun for all sorts of reasons. One right off the top is weight, and the fact that a hunting shotgun will soon "shoot loose" if used for trap, where you go through 150, 200, or more rounds every week-end.

Weight, barrel length, and POI all are specific to a trap gun, for shooting trap.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:01 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Very good info here. I don't do trap (yet). I've been getting my feet wet in sporting clays, and LOVE it. I walk by the trap shooters and it seems like fun. I'll eventually try it.

Since I'm not familiar with trap, I can't help the original thread starter, but I can state some general info here:

You don't need an expensive, specialized firearm to start with. You may not shoot quite as well with it, but you'll get enough of an idea about the sport. If you like it enough, THEN spend the big $$$ on a nice gun and accessories.

I started shooting basic clays at the local range with a basic shotgun. I enjoyed it enough that I wanted to try other clay-related sports with the remington 28" barrel 870. I fell in love with sporting clays several months back and decided to get a $1200 browning o/u.