Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Trade-in question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Trade-in question

Hello! I was in need of some advice on a trade-in I'm planning on doing.

I own a Mossberg Maverick 88. I bought it at a gunshow in town awhile back. It's a six shot with a 28 inch barrel. I bought a new 18 1/2 inch barrel not too long ago and I've only shot with that barrel once. I was in a gun shop near where I live the other day and saw that they had another 88 for sale, great condition, and was the 8 shot security version. I'm wanting to see about trading my 88 and the new barrel to get this version. I believe the price tag was $232.99. I bought my shotgun for 220 and the new barrel was about 90 bucks.

I am not an expert haggler so my bartering skills are close to none but I was hoping someone could give me some advice as to how much I should get off the newer 88 with my trade-ins so I know what is a good deal and what is me being swindled :P

Anyways, I would really appreciate any help I can get. Like I said, the 18 inch barrel is practically new, and my 88 is in good shape but does have a few appearance scratches and wear but its completely functional. Thanks again!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

What you're going to find is that yours is worth about half of what you paid for it - maybe less. Gun stores are in the business to make money and even though you have a low round count - it's a used gun. You are usually in better shape if you sell the gun yourself versus trading it in...

Old 01-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1716 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Your present gun can be used for hunting and SD. If you want the extra capacity, get a tube extension kit. It would be a lot cheaper than trading.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-16-2011, 12:11 AM   #4

Damn, I was afraid of that...oh well, it was worth a thought. I'd change the magazine but my model has the barrel screw that attaches to the end of it so it's not exchangeable. I may end up trying to sell it but not sure where I could. Thanks guys!

Old 01-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1716 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Hunting, Shooting, and Outdoor Gear
Try this site. Click on the 4th one on the right for the extender.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 01-16-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2588 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 200

It is not possible to put an extension on a Mossberg 500/Maverick 88. The design is quite different than the 870 or 1200/1300. The Mossberg 590 uses a "conventional" barrel mounting system that allows extensions.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #7

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

i have the same setup as one of my HD shottys.
i would just keep the 88mav throw a saddle side shell holder on it,place it beside or under the bed & call it a day
save up some cash & go purchase the other shotty...or shop around a little more.i found a like new rem 870 18'' bl rifle sights,tube ex. w/saddle shell holder for $220 out the door a lil while back @ the gun shop down from my work
good luck,stay safe,have fun!

Old 01-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default idea .....

save alittle money get what you want ..give the other away to an young cpl just starting out in life to protect their home ,or the old guy down the street,or to a friend that you introduce shooting to .