Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Trade-in question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/trade-question-36944/)

gnrfan86 01-15-2011 07:26 PM

Trade-in question

Hello! I was in need of some advice on a trade-in I'm planning on doing.

I own a Mossberg Maverick 88. I bought it at a gunshow in town awhile back. It's a six shot with a 28 inch barrel. I bought a new 18 1/2 inch barrel not too long ago and I've only shot with that barrel once. I was in a gun shop near where I live the other day and saw that they had another 88 for sale, great condition, and was the 8 shot security version. I'm wanting to see about trading my 88 and the new barrel to get this version. I believe the price tag was $232.99. I bought my shotgun for 220 and the new barrel was about 90 bucks.

I am not an expert haggler so my bartering skills are close to none but I was hoping someone could give me some advice as to how much I should get off the newer 88 with my trade-ins so I know what is a good deal and what is me being swindled :P

Anyways, I would really appreciate any help I can get. Like I said, the 18 inch barrel is practically new, and my 88 is in good shape but does have a few appearance scratches and wear but its completely functional. Thanks again!

NGIB 01-15-2011 09:22 PM

What you're going to find is that yours is worth about half of what you paid for it - maybe less. Gun stores are in the business to make money and even though you have a low round count - it's a used gun. You are usually in better shape if you sell the gun yourself versus trading it in...

JTJ 01-15-2011 11:34 PM

Your present gun can be used for hunting and SD. If you want the extra capacity, get a tube extension kit. It would be a lot cheaper than trading.

gnrfan86 01-16-2011 12:11 AM

Damn, I was afraid of that...oh well, it was worth a thought. I'd change the magazine but my model has the barrel screw that attaches to the end of it so it's not exchangeable. I may end up trying to sell it but not sure where I could. Thanks guys!

JTJ 01-16-2011 12:58 PM

Hunting, Shooting, and Outdoor Gear
Try this site. Click on the 4th one on the right for the extender.

robocop10mm 01-16-2011 01:33 PM

It is not possible to put an extension on a Mossberg 500/Maverick 88. The design is quite different than the 870 or 1200/1300. The Mossberg 590 uses a "conventional" barrel mounting system that allows extensions.

m72law 01-16-2011 02:33 PM

i have the same setup as one of my HD shottys.
i would just keep the 88mav throw a saddle side shell holder on it,place it beside or under the bed & call it a day:)
save up some cash & go purchase the other shotty...or shop around a little more.i found a like new rem 870 18'' bl rifle sights,tube ex. w/saddle shell holder for $220 out the door a lil while back @ the gun shop down from my work;)
good luck,stay safe,have fun!

powg 01-16-2011 04:18 PM

idea .....

save alittle money get what you want ..give the other away to an young cpl just starting out in life to protect their home ,or the old guy down the street,or to a friend that you introduce shooting to .