total shock. - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > total shock.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 162 Posts

I have use a variety of different solvents or oils in the cleaning stage. But I always finish with a light coat on 3 in 1 oil.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #32

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

When I change the oil in my jeep, I save the used motor oil to lube all my guns, then I wipe them down with paint thinner to remove the gunk from the carbon buildup.

Caution: don't try this at home, I am a professional and it could be harmful for your guns if you are not a professional like me.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #33
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

we used a lot of WD-40 on guns growing up, that and Hoppe's #9, but i myself have found for firearms there are just way better products available.

cleaning and oiling are the first lines of defence against rust on your firearms. if you have many in your collection, then periodic checking should be done from time to time to see if there is any rust. because the quicker it's found, the faster and easier it will be stop it before it does permanent damage.

gun cases, (most) are for transport and short term storage only. i have seen what long term storage does to a firearm, it's not pretty. if you take a firearm out after long term storage, might be a good idea to do a proper cleaning and oiling before shooting it. also check the bore for obstructions.

the brand of oil is probably not near as important as the fact of using it. one oil i found from a Lucas rep, is their gun oil, red in color and lightweight. another oil i use is RemOil, probably works as good as any other. but use it, it's what keeps them from rusting. i have seen many guns turned into scrap iron because of rust and seen many that were in almost perfect condition after decades of use.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #34

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

I personally like to use hopps #9 with remington oil. Been using it a long time and its what I stand by.

Zamzow