Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Today i bought a mossberg 500 did i do good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

in have a mossburg 500 with a 28 in full choke it stamped on the barralo next to the gage size and shell leanth you can shoot slugs thure a full choke but I wouldent recommend it buck and bird shot no problem

Old 07-04-2013, 04:53 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

The nice thing about a Mossy 500 is that there is a huge amount of accessories that have accrued to it over the years of production. Mossberg has a variety of barrels available for the guns right out of their catalog in many lengths and chokes so you can select what you want to do with your shotgun and modify it to perform that task. There is even a company that makes a kit that lets the Mossy use Saiga 12-gauge box magazines (and drums!) for that "zombie-apocalypse" some worry about! I have mine set up with an ATI tactical stock, side-saddle spares, barrel shroud and a Pentax reflex sight. It is held in a "Gun-Grabber" mount just behind my bedroom door and I really don't worry about intruders in my home. Especially since I have a choice of two .45 ACP 1911's to assist me in the trip from bed to Mossberg!
P.S. I call it the Career Councilor because it does such a fine job of pointing out errors in vocational choices!

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

Old 07-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #13
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1313 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 604

The reason most shotgun combo packages come with multiple barrels is because either the length of barrel is different or each barrel has a different choke to change the gun to hunt different game. Each barrel will be marked with gauge, maximum shell length and whether it can handle magnum rounds, and the choke. The barrel is stamped with all the information you possibly need. Check your users manual for ability to shoot slugs.

Mossberg has so many options you can buy separately that I'm sure there is a skeet barrel you could purchase to make it a specialty skeet gun.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #14

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagleEars
The nice thing about a Mossy 500 is that there is a huge amount of accessories that have accrued to it over the years of production. Mossberg has a variety of barrels available for the guns right out of their catalog in many lengths and chokes so you can select what you want to do with your shotgun and modify it to perform that task. There is even a company that makes a kit that lets the Mossy use Saiga 12-gauge box magazines (and drums!) for that "zombie-apocalypse" some worry about! I have mine set up with an ATI tactical stock, side-saddle spares, barrel shroud and a Pentax reflex sight. It is held in a "Gun-Grabber" mount just behind my bedroom door and I really don't worry about intruders in my home. Especially since I have a choice of two .45 ACP 1911's to assist me in the trip from bed to Mossberg!
P.S. I call it the Career Councilor because it does such a fine job of pointing out errors in vocational choices!
That sounds very nice! Can you post a pic off your mossy set up behind the door with the gun grabber mount so i can get an idea? I have mine in my closet but i like your idea! I think i might just do that! Does it conceal your mossy? im going to conceal my guns because i dont have enough space for another safe.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #15

Thanx guys i looked at the barrel and it says chambered for 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells 12 guage 28 inch (modified choke), and the other barrel says 18 inch cylinder bore right now i have the 28 inch barrel on there that has the modified choke built into the barrel its set up for clay can i expect good patterns for trap and skeet? Ive heard by shooting slugs and buckshots through a modified choke it will widen up your pattern and i wont be able to hit anything is it true? I will read my manual and tell you guys what it says.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #16

image-524684509.jpg

Here is Mr mossy!!

Old 07-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
Thanx guys i looked at the barrel and it says chambered for 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells 12 guage 28 inch (modified choke), and the other barrel says 18 inch cylinder bore right now i have the 28 inch barrel on there that has the modified choke built into the barrel its set up for clay can i expect good patterns for trap and skeet? Ive heard by shooting slugs and buckshots through a modified choke it will widen up your pattern and i wont be able to hit anything is it true? I will read my manual and tell you guys what it says.
Shooting buckshot and/or slugs will NOT damage your barrel. Improved cylinder is generally considered the optimum smoothbore choke for rifled slugs. If you ever get serious about shooting slugs, invest in a rifled barrel and use saboted slugs.

You can check the pattern on your Mossy fairly simply. Use a 4'x4' sheet of cardboard and shoot a few targets at various distances, 20 yards, 30 yards, 35 yards, 40 yards, etc. This is an excellent method to learn how your shotgun pattern changes at various distances. Oh, different ammo brands/types will pattern uniquely with your gun.

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=290

Old 07-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #18
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1313 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn

Shooting buckshot and/or slugs will NOT damage your barrel. Improved cylinder is generally considered the optimum smoothbore choke for rifled slugs. If you ever get serious about shooting slugs, invest in a rifled barrel and use saboted slugs.

You can check the pattern on your Mossy fairly simply. Use a 4'x4' sheet of cardboard and shoot a few targets at various distances, 20 yards, 30 yards, 35 yards, 40 yards, etc. This is an excellent method to learn how your shotgun pattern changes at various distances. Oh, different ammo brands/types will pattern uniquely with your gun.

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=290
Great advice, Gator! It is possible that a choke can be "widened" by shooting slugs, but you'd have to shoot thousands of rounds. Don't worry about buckshot, but if you can, use improved cylinder for slug shooting until you can get a slug barrel. Gator's advice for pattern testing is a good idea for EACH barrel and each different round you put through it. It is the only way you will find the best patterning round for YOUR shotgun! If you change manufacturer, shot size, powder charge or case length, you should check the patterning before using it to hunt or for competition.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
That sounds very nice! Can you post a pic off your mossy set up behind the door with the gun grabber mount so i can get an idea? I have mine in my closet but i like your idea! I think i might just do that! Does it conceal your mossy? im going to conceal my guns because i dont have enough space for another safe.
There is a trade-off you have to consider between concealment and accessibility. I chose accessibility but cover my shotgun with an old cotton pillowcase to protect it from dust which also provides some disguise. It is kept chamber-empty with a full tube of field-shot and the sidesaddle full of 00-buck. At close range, birdshot is very effective without over-penetration and I have the Hydra-shok rounds on the receiver if I have to deal with a particularly stubborn knucklehead. The sling carries 21 rounds of mixed ammo and allows an additional "grabbing" place plus it allows me to carry the gun with me while filling my hands with a handgun (1911, naturally). I have tried to think this through carefully, remembering the old proverb "If you find yourself in a fair fight then you didn't plan carefully enough". I don't intend on being in a fair fight!

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

Old 07-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #20

image-3635461117.jpg

I think im just going to hide this in my room and cover it with a pillow case! thats a very nice set up! You have i might do just that too!