Today i bought a mossberg 500 did i do good?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Today i bought a mossberg 500 did i do good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Default Today i bought a mossberg 500 did i do good?

Gooooodmorning! Yesterday i bought a mossberg 500 silver trigger combo at big 5 i spent 367$ including tax is this a good deal? It comes with 2 barrels i havent taken it to the trap/skeet range near my house the 28 inch barrel dosent accept chokes it has no threads the guy said the choke is built in the barrel but i dont really believe him, is my shotgun capable of breaking clay and skeet without a choke? Im going up against a remington 870 that has a modified choke let me know what you guys think thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 541 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 215

I think that is a pretty good price for that gun. I am not sure about your choke question but it sounds like the barrel resembles the older design of shotguns where the choke is made directly into the barrel. In that design the choke is set from the factory and can only be widened.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 07-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #3

Liked 2199 Times on 1295 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Yes, shotgun barrels can have the choke machined into the barrel itself it's just a narrowing of the bore near the muzzle. When they bore the barrel from the rear they just have the boring bit narrower at the end, or they have formed the barrel with a narrower muzzle end than the rest of the bore. The barrel should be marked for the choke that it is machined to. Extra Full, Full, Mod, IC, skeet, etc. Prior to screw-in or screw-on chokes, this is how all choked barrels were done.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #4

Oh, and congrats on finally getting your Mossy.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #5

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Is it safe to shoot slugs, sabot/rifled slugs and buckshout through it? Can i shoot pretty much any kind of ammo? I think its a modified choke built into the barrel im not sure i will see when i fet home from work.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #6

Well, we have finally come full circle on the shotgun choke issue and knowledge or lack there of. You older guys know what I mean.
ct

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 07-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
Is it safe to shoot slugs, sabot/rifled slugs and buckshout through it? Can i shoot pretty much any kind of ammo? I think its a modified choke built into the barrel im not sure i will see when i fet home from work.
You can shoot pretty much anything through the improved cylinder barrel. O wouldn't recommend sabot slugs through a smooth bore if you are going for the best in accuracy. Sabot slugs are meant to be shot through a rifled barrel. hollow base slugs or Brenneke slugs will work fine in smooth bore. Even a modified choke should allow rifled slugs to shoot safely. The rifling lands on a slug are there to allow the slug to compress a bit if there is a choke. When in doubt, read your owners manual. I just wouldn't shoot solid copper or hard slugs through a choked barrel that is any tighter than Improved cylinder.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #8

Liked 329 Times on 182 Posts

I seriously doubt the barrel is choked for any type of clay shooting. Clay shooting is sort of special (meaning not many people do it) so a Mossy 500 barrel coming factory with a constriction of 'skeet' or even 'improved cylinder' is doubtful. I'm betting it came as 'full' and that's not going to lead to high scores in skeet or trap. If you can buy a shotgun with a threaded barrel then you should, as a general rule...that most find out about AFTER buying one that isn't, myself included. This is the only way to get good multiple uses from one shotgun. Can you shoot clays with a 'full' choke, sure, but prepare to be frustrated.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy36 View Post
I seriously doubt the barrel is choked for any type of clay shooting. Clay shooting is sort of special (meaning not many people do it) so a Mossy 500 barrel coming factory with a constriction of 'skeet' or even 'improved cylinder' is doubtful. I'm betting it came as 'full' and that's not going to lead to high scores in skeet or trap. If you can buy a shotgun with a threaded barrel then you should, as a general rule...that most find out about AFTER buying one that isn't, myself included. This is the only way to get good multiple uses from one shotgun. Can you shoot clays with a 'full' choke, sure, but prepare to be frustrated.
I beg to differ on at least one issue you bring up, and that is the comment that a full choke is not good for trap. On the contrar, a full choke is great for trap, not skeet, but trap. In fact, most fixed choke trap guns are choked full.
ct

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 07-04-2013, 01:46 AM   #10

The Mossberg 500 combo I got came with an 18" improved cylinder barrel, and a 28" modified choke barrel. Not a clay competitor by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm able to break clays pretty regularly for not having a skeet specific choke.