Threading a smooth bore shotgun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Threading a smooth bore shotgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 380 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Threading a smooth bore shotgun?

So basically as the title states, Can I take a shotgun that has a smooth bore and no threading for chokes, and have it threaded so I can add a door breacher? specifically, to this gun. Pump Action Shotgun - Model 870 Marine Magnum - Remington Shotguns No, It's not for a practical purpose. It's strictly for Bada$$ery . Can this be done, and if so, how common is it, and what is the approximate cost?

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #2

Liked 99 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Yes it can be done, price will very and is not cheap, not to mention your adding one more part to worry about, may want to look into a bbl that already has threads, though i dont think it will be the length you have in mind.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #3

Liked 380 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I'm not worried about having an extra part like that. This gun would be strictly for HD and for showing off. I did find a website Carlson's Shotgun Choke Tubes and accessories for the hunter and shooter that does these kinds of things, but seeing as I don't have the gun yet, I have no idea if it can even be done yet.

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 06-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Laser, instead...

Why add a choke tube if it is for primarily home defense?
Do you live in 10,000 Sq. Ft. bungalow?
My house gun is a laser guided sawed off double. (One to knock em down, one to make sure they don't get up... ever.)
Although I am longing for a pump.
For inside a house with modern plastic cupped loads, tightening is not at all needed.
Measure some of your longest footage scenarios. Then go practice and learn what you and the weapon do at those ranges. (Damned close.)
Maybe you will, like me, find a laser is more practical than threading the bore for a choke tube.
That red dot out there is far more "Bad Assed" than a knurled tube in your pipe.

Mine is a simple adaption of a laser pointer in an adjustable tube under slung to "Betsy". Gets the job done. Makes "shoot from the hip" dead on.