Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Thoughts on o/u shotguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
We have many types and brands so folks can buy what they want. If I could afford it, I'd have a Holland and Holland SXS double just because I like them. I'd probably not even shoot it very much. I'd just like to have one.

My shotgun of choice for use is a Benelli M-2. But if I shot trap/skeet, I think I'd go with a Krieghoff O/U. If I ever hunt birds again, I'll get another Browning SXS. Probably a 20 this time instead of a 12.

Why do some folks drive a Corvette when they can get from place to place in a Hyundai???

Whatever you like and can afford is what you should get.
If you ever want to shoot a lot a 28 ga is the way to go. The payload is close to the same as a 20 ga but every high quality 28 ga has a much lighter frame. A 20 ga citori feels clumsy to me. Even with my health about 60% of what it used to be I can easily shoot a 100 rounds with a 28 ga citori.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-31-2012, 10:28 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4722 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

Yeah, the 28 is definitely a very nice guage. I've shot a friend's Hatfield SXS 28 quite a bit, and I really like it.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:30 PM   #13

Liked 748 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

I wouldn't talk much about about the money aspect...but if I owned a Ferrari, I would certainly want to show it off a bit. And a '97 F150?...I like those too.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4722 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
I wouldn't talk much about about the money aspect...but if I owned a Ferrari, I would certainly want to show it off a bit. And a '97 F150?...I like those too.
I drive a 97 F250!

4X4

Diesel!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #15

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus

The interesting thing here, quite often the guy with the $100 Mossberg that's ranting at the expensive O/U guns is wearing $150 prefaded designer jeans, $175 sneakers and a $75 designer T-shirt.

So it all depends on what's important to you.
Good point. It's like the man who kissed the cow...

-Matt

Old 10-31-2012, 11:39 PM   #16

Liked 102 Times on 78 Posts

Maybe people who rag on people who shoot expensive guns don't have a case of envy, but lots of times it sure sounds like it. Look at what the guys who shoot for big money or seriously high scores shoot. They did not buy them because of what they cost usually, but in spite of it. And it do make a difference.

What could have happened... did.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:50 PM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1251 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 440

I see the show off syndrome all the time. We have a lot of people parking their $250k boats on the beach to show off but more likely cant afford the gas to run them.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:31 AM   #18

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

In some ways you get what you pay for. Those Baretta's and Browning high end guns are really nice to shoot. I have a Ruger Red Label from 1999. Its a good gun but I still want a Browning BT.

You don't need to be rich to own these guns. You just need to save up or do some work for extra cash.

Criminals advocate stronger gun laws to foster a safer work environment. This limits their exposure to risk.

tonydewar Likes This 
Old 11-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
If you ever want to shoot a lot a 28 ga is the way to go. The payload is close to the same as a 20 ga but every high quality 28 ga has a much lighter frame. A 20 ga citori feels clumsy to me. Even with my health about 60% of what it used to be I can easily shoot a 100 rounds with a 28 ga citori.
Couldn't agree more. The sweet handling & light recoil will make most a believer as well. They hit hard in the summer skeet leagues but I've never seen anyone use less than a 20 in the winter.

90% + of the good shooters shoot Browning or Baretta O/Us w tube sets at my club. Yes, they are expensive but you do get what you pay for. They hold their value as well. My club is mostly blue collar - they would not have paid the $$$ w/o good reason.

Do I own one - no. Do I want one - YES ! Perazzi as long as we're dreaming w Kriegoff a close second. No need to brag, just show up w one and you'll get some envious looks.

You CAN buy the gun but you can NOT buy the skill to use it. $$$ does help buy the shells & lessons to shrink the learning curve but you still have to put in the time/work.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #20
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16872 Times on 9778 Posts
Likes Given: 43992

personally i think it's the general attitude of the person who owns the firearm, that matters to me. i don't like snobs at all. if the guy is in a position to afford higher end firearms than me, but doesn't throw it in my face, that his gun cost more than mine, and acts like a nice guy, then i can respect and probably even like the guy. but the guy who just wants a higher end gun to show off his status and act like a prima dona, and put down others who can't afford guns as nice as his, then i have no use for that person. i have met both types.

and IMO, it's the shooter not the firearm, that makes the difference. a less than stellar shooter with the finest gun, can't outshoot a talented or practiced shooter with a lesser quality gun.