Thoughts on o/u shotguns
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Thoughts on o/u shotguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thoughts on o/u shotguns

Why do some guys think they need to spend thousands on there trap and skeet gun. I out shot two guys that could not stop bragging about how much they payed for there guns I out shot them with a cheap mossberg silver o/u 12ga it's not always the gun or the maker.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2012, 05:27 AM   #2

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I shoot an Ithaca O/U from the 1960's, so I'm not exactly part of the expensive O/U crowd. Although, I do like a nice O/U (who doesn't?), but it's the shooter, not the gun.

It's sort of the same mentality behind buying an Alaskan Super Redhawk, and living in a place with no bears. My gun is better/bigger/more expensive, than yours.

-Matt

Last edited by Blueguns; 10-30-2012 at 05:30 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Guys take there guns way to serious if it fits in your hand and go's bang it's a gun so shoot it I guess if u can't shoot u pay big bucks for a gun so u can show off how big your wallet is instead of how good u can shoot

Old 10-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1253 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 527

On my visit to SD last week I was glad I had a third shot available.

However I choose to utilize the plug, so I stop shooting after three.

SD does not place a limit on the round capacity of your shotgun while hunting pheasant.

Some folks cram 8+1 in their autoloaders. Makes the gun too dang heavy, IMO.

Maybe next year I'll try the new 16 round Kel Tec.

Seriously, a good shooter can make most any shotgun look good.

Some folks just want to drive a Ferrari, but a Huyndai will achieve the same objective.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #5

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishpointer View Post
Why do some guys think they need to spend thousands on there trap and skeet gun. I out shot two guys that could not stop bragging about how much they payed for there guns I out shot them with a cheap mossberg silver o/u 12ga it's not always the gun or the maker.
Because they can. I don't like or agree with bragging about how much one spends on anything, it is in poor taste, but if someone can afford and wants to pay big bucks for something that is their right.

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books

People Like This 
Old 10-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2292 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 669

The amazing part is that some people will pay a huge amount for a shotgun and not have it properly fitted. The English are masters at fitting shotguns. They adapt the shotgun to the shooter not the shooter to the shotgun. Why spend the bucks for something that does not fit and will never function to the optimum?

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #7

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The amazing part is that some people will pay a huge amount for a shotgun and not have it properly fitted. The English are masters at fitting shotguns. They adapt the shotgun to the shooter not the shooter to the shotgun. Why spend the bucks for something that does not fit and will never function to the optimum?
Just ask any group of Glock owners. It works the same way, we all have our tricked out shotguns. We won't be bothered with having them fitted. We just have them so we can say we belong to a clique. Remember when everyone had to have a Beretta? You even got a cheap T-shirt so a burglar could follow you home and steal it.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6344 Times on 3547 Posts
Likes Given: 5923

We have many types and brands so folks can buy what they want. If I could afford it, I'd have a Holland and Holland SXS double just because I like them. I'd probably not even shoot it very much. I'd just like to have one.

My shotgun of choice for use is a Benelli M-2. But if I shot trap/skeet, I think I'd go with a Krieghoff O/U. If I ever hunt birds again, I'll get another Browning SXS. Probably a 20 this time instead of a 12.

Why do some folks drive a Corvette when they can get from place to place in a Hyundai???

Whatever you like and can afford is what you should get.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz

Old 10-31-2012, 11:19 PM   #9

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishpointer
Guys take there guns way to serious if it fits in your hand and go's bang it's a gun so shoot it I guess if u can't shoot u pay big bucks for a gun so u can show off how big your wallet is instead of how good u can shoot
It seems like there is three types of expensive O/U shotgun people.

A lot of guys in the big Trap tourneys have those very expensive O/Us. If your very, very, good at trap and shoot it nationally, then I think it makes sense.

Then there is the guys that have more money than they really know what do with. They'll buy a Beretta or a Perazzi, or something ridiculously expensive, for no other reason than they can do it, and stay within their means. I think that's cool, if they've worked hard all their lives, and can afford it, more power to them.

Then there is they guy at the local trap range, that takes out a loan to buy a shotgun he cannot afford, flashes it around, goes 70/100, and thinks the gun makes him cool.

-Matt

Old 10-31-2012, 11:26 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6344 Times on 3547 Posts
Likes Given: 5923

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns View Post

Then there is they guy at the local trap range, that takes out a loan to buy a shotgun he cannot afford, flashes it around, goes 70/100, and thinks the gun makes him cool.

The interesting thing here, quite often the guy with the $100 Mossberg that's ranting at the expensive O/U guns is wearing $150 prefaded designer jeans, $175 sneakers and a $75 designer T-shirt.

So it all depends on what's important to you.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz