Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Tacticle Semi - Autos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Tacticle Semi - Autos

Will be looking for a tacticle semi-auto home defence shotgun fairly soon. Does any manufacture set one up slick right out of the box? I am sure I need to stick to the semi-auto as I shoot a boat loads of rounds thru semi-auto during the course of a year. In a high stress situation might forget to cycle a pump action. Not brand loyal to anyone in this case. Just want a easy to handle gun with a light, pressure switch, and a large capacity (4+) of rounds. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and photos if you have.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

R-Bolt:

I don't know if this will fit your bill, but I have the Fn Herstal SLP .12 and this thing is a monster. Eats anything I feed it and ejects the spent casings like a shredder. Very good feel, very light recoil, my opinion, and it runs like a champ. She wasn't cheap, but I have had no problems with it.

JD

Old 07-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Saiga 12s are inexpensive and built upon the combat proven AK action. 20 and 30 round drums can be had for them as well, making for a very potent combat shotgun.

Think about it, 20 rounds of 00 buck as fast as you can squeeze the trigger. If that won't destroy a target, chances are that you're ****ed anyway.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #4

That's a good point Matt - The Saiga seems like a great choice and much cheaper than my FN.

However, I don't need to worry about anyone broadstroking me with the media brush. Mine is bone stock the way it was shipped, as the manufacturer sold it. Don't blame me, blame them if my shotgun is a bad ass room clearer.

JD

Old 07-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
That's a good point Matt - The Saiga seems like a great choice and much cheaper than my FN.

However, I don't need to worry about anyone broadstroking me with the media brush. Mine is bone stock the way it was shipped, as the manufacturer sold it. Don't blame me, blame them if my shotgun is a bad ass room clearer.

JD
What's your take on Stoegers? They're made by Benelli but seem to be a more budget oriented gun.

Their Model 2000 can be had with a pistol grip and recoil reducing stock. It also has the option of a 3 1/2" chamber.

Stoeger Model 2000 Semi-Auto 12-Gauge Shotgun with 3” Chamber
Stoeger Defense Guns

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 07-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #6

I am afraid I don't know a hell of a lot about them to be honest Matt. I have some experience with the Benelli though and the reviews are mixed.

If you are going to be shooting big, heavy, magnum loads in the thing, they work great. The Inertia system is really well designed and it tames recoil just like advertised.

However, if you are going to be shooting less than the magnum loads, like the local PD wanted to do with their door breeching rounds, the energy isn't sufficient enough to cycle the action and the weapon becomes a club in a hurry.

I like the Benelli design, but when I was comparing it to the FN, I felt the FN was just a better all around design - and it runs with lower power rounds the same way it does with the magnum stuff.

Pierce County PD ( and their multiple city SWAT detachment ) tried the Benelli and didn't like it. They ended up selling them off and going with tactical 1100's.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Since you shoot a lot of rounds through a semi auto now, check out
what the same brand has in tactical. Remington and Mossberg both
have tactical versions of their hunting and target semi autos.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Remington 1100
Model 1100™ TAC

Old 07-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Carne Frio - That is not a bad idea. I shoot a Benneli SBEII, the safe I would be familar with in the dark. The M4 is a little pricey, although with a quality gun,the resale should be excellent if the need arose. In one and a half years I have worn some bluing off my SBEII with the hours I have handled it in the field. Have used it to hunt doves, upland birds, turkey, waterfowl, and blue rock. Action is dependable with or without heavy loads if clean and lubed. I have had failures with it, when the action was somewhat gritty. I do clean the barrel weekly during the hunting months. It is not as reliable cycling as rumor would have it with the waterfowl crowd. Wore a 1100 down to razor edges ahead of the SBEII over a course of many years.
The guns the board are coming up with are all interesting and contenders. Tacticle 1100 also would fall right in my hands.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I am afraid I don't know a hell of a lot about them to be honest Matt. I have some experience with the Benelli though and the reviews are mixed.

If you are going to be shooting big, heavy, magnum loads in the thing, they work great. The Inertia system is really well designed and it tames recoil just like advertised.

However, if you are going to be shooting less than the magnum loads, like the local PD wanted to do with their door breeching rounds, the energy isn't sufficient enough to cycle the action and the weapon becomes a club in a hurry.

I like the Benelli design, but when I was comparing it to the FN, I felt the FN was just a better all around design - and it runs with lower power rounds the same way it does with the magnum stuff.

Pierce County PD ( and their multiple city SWAT detachment ) tried the Benelli and didn't like it. They ended up selling them off and going with tactical 1100's.
I'm hell bent on one of the Stoeger Double Defense coach guns. It's up next on the shopping list. I need a good close up zombie blaster and it would be nice to have one that I could strap an EOTech or Aimpoint to.

Roger Waters