Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Tactical shotguns, good or bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Tactical shotguns, good or bad?

Keep hearing good things about tactical shotguns with pistol grips.

My question is how people feel about these?

It feels "funny" to me because I'm used to the regular way. Having my hand under my gun rather then along my gun makes me feel like I'm not one with the gun. I also can not stand the pistol grip without a stock. I understand the gun is shorter so it's better for home defense but I would rather look down the barrel at what I'm about to shoot. Not hold on and hope I hit him with my one foot pattern.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #2

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

IMHO, a pistol-grip shotgun is is only useful for movie props and attention whores. I've seen way too many YouTube face plants to even consider it useful.

If close quarters require something other than a fixed stock, I would consider a folder.

There's nothing wrong with short-barreled, hi-cap full-stocked shotties or a coach gun SxS.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #3

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

I like the pistol grip with the stock took me a few to get a grasp on the shooting style but now I got pistol grips on most my guns I think it allowed me to have a steady hold on my aiming for a longer time

Old 05-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #4

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I was also raised up with double barrels and wingmasters, but the pistol grip shotguns have never bothered me. I just adapt to whatever gun im shooting without any complaints. It doesnt hinder my skills one way or the other. My new shotty has a pistol grip stock and i like it just fine. Just my 2¢

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 05-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #5

By no means am I putting them down. Can't fault it until you try it. I'm just not used to that type of feel. I didn't like the feel of a revolver until I shot one a few time. Now I love them just as much as my autos.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #6

Liked 812 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Pistol-grips, as on an AR, took me a few minutes to get used to. In a shotgun (H&K Benelli) it felt odder, until I started shooting...

It was a stupendously natural actual fit and the results were positively surprising. Now I'm not boasting, but I don't care what shotgun you put in my hands, unless there is something significantly wrong with the arm on a Trap field I am probably going to hit the target. The pistol grip? I broke almost every bird the first time out, gun fresh out of the box, clearly supported by its outline.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-20-2012 at 01:19 AM.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:34 AM   #7

Liked 180 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I like pistol grip with the stock, I've shot just shotguns just with a pistol grip and there more fun then useful. I guess if you put a laser on it it might be useful for something. But the way I have my HD shotgun set up with the 10 yards (longest shot in my house) I have a 1/2 foot pattern with just regular buck, I have to aim with it other wise I would probably miss the target.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 05-20-2012, 02:48 AM   #8

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

I have a shotgun with a pistol grip and an adjustable stock and like it so far I don't think I'd ever take the stock off it jus doesn't feel right not having it on my shoulder

Old 05-20-2012, 03:16 AM   #9

Liked 16795 Times on 9736 Posts
Likes Given: 43826

i am no fan of pistol gripped only shotguns and prefer a full stock and would go with a pistol gripped full stock possibly. pistol gripped shotguns put a lot of stress on the wrist from the recoil. sure manueverability is enhanced but at the price of poor follow-up shots if needed. i have shot them, but personally would never own one.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i have the knoxx stock. to me, the pistol grip is a lot more comfortable, and i can support my gun better.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp