Tactical shotgun accessories ... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Tactical shotgun accessories ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

When I shot in a league during both seasonal leagues after every day's shooting I'd wipe the opened action's exposed inside workings and outside metal with different parts of a pre-wetted cleaning/lubing wipe (Remington or Birchwood Casey) and then I'd reverse it and stuff it thru the dirty bore from the breech.

At season end gun would come apart to be cleaned and lightly lubed with teflon oil in detail including a good bore-snaking (set up to clean properly). Gotta remember we're putting hundreds of rounds through shotgun every coupla weeks. Lotta fellas only clean them once at the end of the season and these are above-average guns!

Anyway, then my gun'd be racked and secured for next season usually only to be left there and replaced by another gun. Poor thing.

Last edited by MattShlock; 03-29-2013 at 11:29 AM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 03-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2078 Times on 1274 Posts
Likes Given: 11704

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
When I shot in a league during both seasonal leagues after every day's shooting I'd wipe the opened action's exposed inside workings and outside metal with different parts of a pre-wetted cleaning/lubing wipe (Remington or Birchwood Casey) and then I'd reverse it and stuff it thru the dirty bore from the breech.

At season end gun would come apart to be cleaned and lightly lubed with teflon oil in detail including a good bore-snaking (set up to clean properly). Gotta remember we're putting hundreds of rounds through shotgun every coupla weeks. Lotta fellas only clean them once at the end of the season and these are above-average guns!

Anyway, then my gun'd be racked and secured for next season usually only to be left there and replaced by another gun. Poor thing.
I know a lot of folks who do it this way, and it works well for them. I only use the cleaning schedual I do because that's what i was taught. I have often likened the when to clean question to asking a room full of people what time it is. If there are 10 people in the room, you will get atleast 9 different answers.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22215 Times on 12454 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

just to illustrate a point. years ago, i knew a man that would only change the oil filter on his truck and add a quart oil to top it off. he was well over 200K miles on that engine! this was in the mid 80's in a Chevrolet truck. now there is no way i would ever recommend or suggest that procedure, but it worked for him.

i am a big proponent of proper maintenance prodedures. it's what i do for a living and have now for many years. to me firearms are no different than anything else in requiring proper maintenance. my methods work for me an those are the ones i will adhere to. if someone has a procedure that works for them, then they can use whatever procedure they feel comfortable with.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Keep it simple..
*flashlight
*extended mag
*ghost ring sight
*cartridge saddle

Become steel or get cut.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I, too, have a Mossberg 590A1 shotgun. I had a scope mounted but soon came to realize I didn't need it after all, as a Mossberg 590A1 can hit its target at a 100 yards. Having a scope on it however caused me to miss targets up close. So, needlessly to say, I took it off. I like the Mossberg just the way it is. Naked and lethal.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Here are my pair of HD shotguns.

Top is a Winchester Defender with side saddle and a Surefire Forearm light

Bottom is a Remington 870 Tactical with a Blackhawk NRS Stock with Surefire LED Forearm. Missing is my side saddle which is on order.

Simple is always the best. Light and spare ammo is always a good combo to have close by.

forumrunner_20130413_110533.jpg

Old 04-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22215 Times on 12454 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

a person needs to pick and choose what works for them. and what ever a person decides on using, they need to be comfortable and practiced with it.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:12 AM   #18

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Nice Defender Phelen... I have modded one as well. Personally, Defenders have the smoothest action. Have a sling for work purposes but as HD I have it removed it so I dont snag it on anything if I need to move around inside...

forumrunner_20130417_010710.jpg