Tactical shotgun accessories ...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Tactical shotgun accessories ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Tactical shotgun accessories ...

I just bought a Mossberg 590A1 12 gauge shotgun...

I'm wondering what accessories you would recommend. I don't mind spending a pretty penny on something nice. I don't want anything cheap.

I'm looking for a really good fore grip, an adjustable stock and a sight/scope...

Any suggestions for high quality accessories is much appreciated..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1766 Times on 1089 Posts
Likes Given: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGlockOrGoHome View Post

I'm wondering what accessories you would recommend. I don't mind spending a pretty penny on something nice. I don't want anything cheap.

I'm looking for a really good fore grip, an adjustable stock and a sight/scope...

Before you go dropping more cash into your 590, practice and try it out as is. I dropped close to $300 into my 870 before I figured out that the best way to set it up, for myself and my family, was to add a 7 round mag extension and a youth model factory synthetic stock. I did add a weapon light, and a slip on butt stock shell holder at a later date, but I could have saved about $200 by trying out the shotgun as it was first. YMMV, just trying to give you a little free advice before you buy something you may not be happy with.

As far as fore ends and stocks go, ATI has a line of shotgun stocks called the Akita series. LOP, cast, and comb are fully adjustable, and they come in many different looks, from camo to wood. One of the nice features they come with is a universal set of mounts, so they can be switched back and forth with almost any shotguns in your safe. It may be worth your time to check them out. http://www.atigunstocks.com.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Last edited by kfox75; 03-26-2013 at 01:34 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-26-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have to agree with Kfox. shoot a couple hundred rounds in it, just as it came out of the box. a lot of things you might even decide you don't need or want. another suggestion, try out other shotguns with the accessories that you are interested in before buying if possible. a lot of money is spent on parts and accessories by people who thought they just had to have them.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #4

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default You Did Not Buy This At The Mall!

Quote:

Yeah -- leave it alone. It is (over)built right and came with everything you need (if you got it with the SpeedFeed+4 stock and bead front or three-dot sight barrel).

Old 03-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

How many rounds (ballpark) do you put through your 500/590/870 before you SHOULD clean it..
I understand that it will shot 3k rounds without a failure, that's not what I'm asking.
I also understand that some people clean it after each day at the range. Not asking that either.

When is a good time to clean it. I know this number will vary, just looking for a rough estimate of how many rounds through it.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:17 AM   #6

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

+1 on the Speed Feed stock. I've got it and the ghost ring sights on my 590A1. There's only three things I want for it.

1)Good tactical sling

2)Tritium front sight

3)SureFire fore end with light

Concerning the Speed Feed stock, I load all eight Centurian buck and ball in the tube, one in the snout, and four high velocity slugs in the stock. The stock is really well built and the butt pad is nice. It's really fast to access the ammo and provides a great cheek weld. If yours doesn't have it, I would highly recommend getting it.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
How many rounds (ballpark) do you put through your 500/590/870 before you SHOULD clean it..
I understand that it will shot 3k rounds without a failure, that's not what I'm asking.
I also understand that some people clean it after each day at the range. Not asking that either.

When is a good time to clean it. I know this number will vary, just looking for a rough estimate of how many rounds through it.
not really for sure at to what you're asking, but my firearms get cleaned whether i go out ans shoot a couple of rounds or a couple hundred rounds. just because you can go 3K rounds before a malfuction occurs, doesn't mean you should.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:07 AM   #8

Liked 2401 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Quote:

I at minimum do a bore snake, throught the bore after each shooting session with any of my guns followed by a light oil patch. A good wipe down and on semi-auto's a light oiling of moving parts, and another wipe down before putting them up. A couple match guns only get stripped once or twice a year to save on wear on fitted parts.

Any of my defensive guns get a full cleaning after each shooting session, or if I don't have the time right away, they get the above treatment until the end of the week, when carry guns get broken down and cleaned.

EDIT to add: My hunting guns get a good wipe down and oiling after a day in the field, wheter they get fired or not. Especially important if they were exposed to some weather. I also keep a cleaning kit in the vehicle to dry and oil them if they were wet or have condensation on them from temperature changes going into the vehicle and put into any kind of a case.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 03-29-2013 at 03:16 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #9

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:

Check out Phoenix kicklite and instead of a scope put a laserlyte Rml laser

Old 03-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1766 Times on 1089 Posts
Likes Given: 9800

Quote:

Before you even fire the shotgun, strip it down and clean it. Then take it out and shoot it.

After the initial cleaning, I have to agree with SSGN Doc and Axxe. All of my guns get cleaned, regardles of use, about every 3 months when they just sit in my safes. They get cleaned after EVERY range session (anywhere from 200 rounds to 900, give or take a couple hundred), hunt (regardless of if they were shot or not), and my EDC gets cleaned once a week for obvious reasons. In the words of my father, a 22 year Marine): "A dirty gun is more likely to fail, Keep it clean, because someday your life may depend on it working right." In other words, just because a salesman, (who in all likelyhood does not own the make and model he is pitching to you.) tells you the gun can go 3K rounds without cleaning, that doesn't mean that doing so is a good idea.

Think of it like you would changing the oil on a brand new truck. The manufacturer says to do it about every 6 months or 6, 000 miles in a non-extreme enviornment, but it's 3 months or 3,000 miles under severe or harsh conditions. Now, we all know that guy who has not changed the oil in well over 50,000 miles, and his truck runs good. Give it another 15 to 20,000 miles, and he will probably have to change the engine in that truck on his own dime. Not cleaning you shotgun for 3,000 rounds, if not more, could lead to a FTF, Misfire, ar worst case scenario, a catastrophic failure when you need it most.

I have a friend who has some interesting scars from his model 500 failing to fire while he was running the shotgun as a backup tool for a mutual friend during a boar hunt in NC. The archer missed his mark, and buried the arrow into the hog's shoulder blade. At that point they were charged, the shotgun was raised, trigger pulled, and nothing but a click. He dropped the shotgun, and transitioned to his .44 magnum, but it was a little too late. The hog laid his lower and upper leg open to the bone with it's tusks before he could shoot it. When the shell was ejected from his shotgun, There was a very small dimple in the primer. After a few days in the hospital, he went home and stripped down the shotgun. He had to soak the bolt in solvent, and then gun oil for 4 days along with several brushings to free up the firing pin. It would not move in the bolt at all. i asked him when he last cleaned his shotgun, and he had to stop and think about when that was, turned out it was over 4 years before, in a humid area. Wrong maintenance plan to say the least.

If you want an idea of how often you should clean your gun, go ask a 'Nam vet. From what I understand, our boys were being told that the M-16 was self-cleaning. As I said above, Clean it after every use, and after every hunt, regardless of if you shoot or not. You never know when you will need it to work right the first time. One "Oh #!&^, esases a thousand "Atta Boy"s.

Hope this helps.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

axxe55 Likes This