Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Tactical Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3807 Times on 2276 Posts
Likes Given: 3206

Default Tactical Shotgun

Ok, I am looking to upgrade my Mossberg 590 Mariner "Special Purpose". I am looking at the Blackhawk adjustable stock, which is suppose to lessen recoil by 85%. I do not mind recoil, But my son has problems with magnum shells. Any thoughts about stocks? I am also looking for a good sling with attachments. Finally, I am making up my mind on red dot, holographic sights, or just plain ghost sights. Not looking to spend a lot on the sights though. How would you upgrade my shotgun in accordance to German law:
1. No flashlights
2. No lasers
3. No pistol grip only or folding stock (I can have adjustable assault like stocks with a pistol grip)

The gun is for protection and hunting from small game to large boars (slugs).
Thank you for your time and help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1003 Times on 563 Posts
Likes Given: 389

I had a Remington 870 special purpose turkey gun with a Knoxx adjustable stock for a couple of years. I grew to hate that thing, I would rather have mule kick me on the shoulder than shoot it again, traded it in on a Glock 17.

My $0.02, keep the stock you have, spend that money on ammo.

Try a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad, 34.99'at Cabela's.

Last edited by Gatoragn; 03-03-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #3

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

I agree the limb saver recoil pad works great...but I wouldn't get the slip on.... for a few more dollars you can get the exact fit

Old 03-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 605 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 233

German law prohibits you from having a white light on your gun? They don't want you to identify who you are shooting at night? Who the hell made up that law?

Oh well, that's what the SureFire wrist light is for. Even with the silly laws over there we were still busy coming up with bright ideas for you over here. At least there's a workable way around that law now.

Everyone I've seen at the local range who tries using one of the "Spec Ops" style stocks quickly learns that it smacks you in the cheek when the gun yaws in the stock.

Since you have a Mossberg and the safety is on top of the receiver, why not wait for MagPul to release their shotgun stock for the 590? That way, you'll have a little better grip angle, still be able to hit the safety, and you can use various cheek pieces and spacer inserts, if necessary, to put your face more inline with the receiver to reduce cheek slap and perceived recoil. Not that it makes a lick of difference when your life is on the line, but the appearance and features of the MagPul stock are more politically correct. Is it imperative to have a quick adjust stock and pistol grip, or just a reduced length of pull with better ergonomics?

If you require quick adjust, why not use a Mesa Tactical LEO stock and sling plate combination with a padded AR stock and AR pistol grip? Enidine makes a hydraulic recoil buffer for it, too.

I really like the GG&G sling plates on my 870, but they make the same product for 590's. I think Blackhawk even makes a sling plate for the 590. I'm not sure how much your 590 will weigh in its final configuration, but I don't find single points that comfortable with a 9+ pound gun hanging off of me. Getting smacked in the knees with it isn't much fun, either.

I like two point Blue Force Gear slings, but it's a personal preference. I like the fact that you can adjust it using the slider tab to quickly use the gun or go hands free.

Apart from that, a XS Big Dot Tritium front sight might be in order.

I like my Aimpoint Comp M3 on my 870, but a Comp M4 or Micro would work, too. I like the larger tube of the M3/M4 series, but some people like the light weight of the Micros.

Perhaps a side saddle for extra shells on the gun? I'm not sure what German law says about that. Just a thought.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3807 Times on 2276 Posts
Likes Given: 3206

Thanks KBD512. I will look for your suggestions. I would have to order online, since these products are not available over here. That is why I am asking for help. I can use a side saddle. Using lights and nighttime sights is considered unsportsmanlike while hunting. It is the hunting mindset over here. That is why our scopes are x56, to let in as much light as possible during our hunts. That is also why you will pay at least 1000€ for a scope if you are a night hunter. Things might change. I appreciate your time and expertise. Waidmannsheil.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 605 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Whether sporting or not, look into getting a SureFire 2211 (wrist light) so you can visually identify an intruder at night while maintaining a secure grip on your shotgun with both hands. The wrist light's output is sufficient at about 180 lumens. 200 lumens or so is about as bright as I'll ever go indoors. Anything more blinds you about as well as it blinds the bad guy(s). It's attached to you and not the gun, isn't an ITAR item so you should be able to score one, and it isn't meant to be attached to any gun and has no provision for doing so.

I can't say enough about how having an Aimpoint helps hitting targets, especially moving targets, at close range.

There's nothing wrong with a bead at indoor distances, but I prefer rifle or ghost ring sights and would take the Aimpoint over either.