Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Tactical options for Winchester SXP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Tactical options for Winchester SXP

Hey guys, I picked up an SXP not too long ago, which so far has been a great choice, and am interested in some tactical options. I intend to deer hunt with it and was considering a scope and flashlight. The only proper flashlight I could find was over $300, in which case I could just save my money and hand carry one. I also am considering a scope but haven't liked any of the tactical rails so far. Anyone know of some good products? It is the field version so universal light mounts won't work. Thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20907 Times on 11883 Posts
Likes Given: 52454

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerXLT91_05 View Post
Hey guys, I picked up an SXP not too long ago, which so far has been a great choice, and am interested in some tactical options. I intend to deer hunt with it and was considering a scope and flashlight. The only proper flashlight I could find was over $300, in which case I could just save my money and hand carry one. I also am considering a scope but haven't liked any of the tactical rails so far. Anyone know of some good products? It is the field version so universal light mounts won't work. Thanks in advance!
okay which is it? a tactical shotgun you want? or a hunting shotgun?

they are not the same.

also i hope you would not plan on using the flashlight for deer hunting. in most tates that's illegal.

you need to make choice for the intended use of the shotgun and then configure it.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #3

Hunting, I know they are different but I would need a rail to put a scope on it is what I was implying. Why would it be illegal? I was just wanting the light to navigate through the woods when lighting was low, a little more convenient but not dying to have it either.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Hunting, I know they are different but I would need a rail to put a scope on it is what I was implying. Why would it be illegal? I was just wanting the light to navigate through the woods when lighting was low, a little more convenient but not dying to have it either.
probably best choice would be a slug barrel if one is available for that shotgun. i have the SXP Defender, but mine is used as HD shotgun.

might have to see if a gunsmith can mount a rail for a scope on it, if none are made for it. go with a lower powered scope, say 1-4 or 2-6 power.

in many states having a light mounted to the gun constitutes poaching. you need to check your states game laws as to what's legal.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #5

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
I'd just get a small LED handheld--
A light mounted around here during deer season would be "questioned" to put it mildly
Don't know the gun but mite look into drillin & tappin for your scope-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #6

I'd hate to drill into it, I think most of the mounts I find require that. Talking to a gun smith isn't a bad idea, I'll have to consider that.

axxe55, how do you like your defender? I haven't put too many shells through mine yet, but what I did it performed well.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #7

Quote:
I'd hate to drill into it, I think most of the mounts I find require that. Talking to a gun smith isn't a bad idea, I'll have to consider that.

axxe55, how do you like your defender? I haven't put too many shells through mine yet, but what I did it performed well.
great shotgun! has shot everything i have fed through it without fail. even my wife likes it. she loves that shotgun over all the others i own. it stays in the bedroom at all times.

see if there are any good gunsmiths in your areas and explain what you are trying to do. if possible, see if he can show you some of his previous jobs.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #8

Good to hear, I've heard lots of good reviews which pushed me to get it, so glad to hear you love yours. And thanks for the tip, definitely interested in seeing what they can do!

Old 01-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Good to hear, I've heard lots of good reviews which pushed me to get it, so glad to hear you love yours. And thanks for the tip, definitely interested in seeing what they can do!
i bought mine about three years ago for the purpose of it being a HD/SD shotgun. mine has the 18.5" barrel and holds 5 in the tube. didn't need anything more than the way it came, so i have not really looked into what parts and accessories are available for it. i have heard that the older Winchester M1300 parts would interchange, but have not verified it for a fact. might be something to look into for parts and accessories.