Syracuse Arms Company
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Syracuse Arms Company

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Syracuse Arms Company

I would like to know if anyone can tell me the date of manufacture of a 12 ga. double barrel. The s.n. is 29065. The barrel has triplet steel engraved on it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-30-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Production records for the Syracuse Arms Company no longer exist, so there is no way to provide an exact shipping date on your gun. From personal research I can tell you the following: Triplet Steel barrels were first introduced by SAC on their Grade OO gun in 1901. Triplet Steel was SAC's moniker for the type of fluid steel barrels used on this grade gun; and they later used this same barrel steel on a limited run of Syracuse hammer guns introduced in 1904, but these were the only two models of SAC guns advertised as being available with Triplet Steel barrels. The frames of SAC guns were strengthened in 1902 (wider top strap and lengthened frame sides); and their top fastener modified to what SAC advertised as a "double cross bolt". This change occurred around serial number 24,500 (give or take a few numbers either way); adn based on that fact, I would speculate your gun was manufactured in late 1902 or early 1903. In 1902 and 1903, the Grade OO gun was the least expensive SAC gun and carried a suggested retail of $30; not an insignificant sum at the turn of the last century.