survival kit in small aircraft - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > survival kit in small aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanz View Post
There is just a lot that can go wrong. Equipment failure in a single engine. Bad fuel. Flying into IFR and then a mountain. Crashing into a lake. Having some problem in your nav gear and getting lost (all lakes look the same out there, no distinctive landmarks). Woods just gobbling up the plane crash.

The only things you can do are being prepared to survive, knowing your plane, and really knowing how to do an engine out landing. Most pilots really suck at engine outs! Get a stunt pilot to give you 15 hours of training someday.
It's called a "DEADSTICK" landing... and you get one chance to get it right.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:53 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 117 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Ak survival bag

I would find a Pilot that's flown the rought before fly up with him.
What time the year you plan to do this?
Where you flying from?
Where you going to? passes and mountains villages where 100LL is available
What rateings you have?
What Type of plane and its range?
A firearm isant really needed, you will be dealing with Canadians for some reason the authorities there have a dim view of hand guns and semiautomatic anything!
If you have to put down somewhere chances are you will be lucky to get out the plane at all with what's on your back, you may have broken legs mabe knocked out upside down and hypothermic succombing to the elements is primary concern, having a operable hand held with extra batteries and the new ELT (they changed the frequency they monitor) with fresh batteries (have your A&P or IA check ELT) when brushing off snow the ELT antenne can be easily broken off, may have to live with whats in your pockets (fishing vest comes to mind with stuff in all the pockets) flight plans very important, not pushing the weather is another (we can alway's come out when the weather is nice and look for you) I have a few pilot friends that racked up some time in these parts I'd glad to get you in touch with the Fellas that flew up here and have survived a crash or two.
Right off I know three guy's that would be good sources

I rememberd another so its allready up to 4!