Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Default Suggestions

I would like to get some suggestions/direction from those that know on a shotgun. I have shot them before but have never owned one. I understand the differences in gauge(12/20) and action(pump/semi auto). What I would like to know is what manufactures/models would you all suggest for the intended use.

This shotgun would be almost exclusively a home defense gun. I would like it to have a solid feel, be compact and maneuverable, easy to use and absolutely reliable. Just on an aesthetic note, I am not a fan of wood/faux wood furniture on guns - sorry, just a peculiar quirk of mine.

Thanks for the help guys

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-12-2009, 11:06 PM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Mossberg 500 J.I.C. Series

jic.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-13-2009, 01:05 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The two most reliable platforms in the home defense shotgun market are as follows:

1) Remington 870

2) Mossberg 500

Both have a ton of aftermarket options, both are extremely reliable and both can be customized beyond your wildest dreams.

Either one of those models can be had, cheaply, in the aftermarket, but both of them would be a great first purchase brand spanking new and added to your collection.

--- Transmission Ends ---

JD

Old 05-13-2009, 01:26 AM   #4

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 are both good shotguns. I perfer .12 ga. and dont care at all for pistol grip shotgun stocks.

I have a older Winchester Super X2 Practical Tactical .12 guage semi auto that holds 8 in the tube and one in the chamber. That is 2-3/4" shells it also holds 3-1/2" shells but with less capacity than 2-3/4" shells.

My brother on the other hand has a Mossberg 500 .12 ga. pump which are very reasonably priced, and like the 870 Remington, there are many aftermarket parts for them.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:40 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I prefer the Mossy Maveric 88 HD firearm. Cheap and reliable. Comes with the pistol grip and the regular buttstock. You can get in 18.5 with 5+1 cap or 21 with 6+1 cap.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:20 PM   #6

Here is my take on this. I realize that you don't care for a wood stock/forearm.

But as a left hand shooter I would take a look long at the Ohio made Ithaca Model 37 Defense gun. Keep in mind that I don't really care for the shell ejecting on the right hand side. That is just me.

It might be more expensive than a standard Mossy 500 or a Remmy 870. HD models

But if you look at the specialized models then the price is pretty much equal or better towards the Ithaca.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:40 AM   #7

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

I was wondering if maybe I am limiting myself as far as functionality goes. Would it be suitable to use the same shotgun for home defense as well as bird/skeet shooting? Of the models suggested would they fit that criteria as well?
Is it a matter of just changing out to a longer barrel to achieve better accuracy?

Thanks again fellas

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 05-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #8

Liked 113 Times on 87 Posts

In my opinion yes, you are limiting yourself. I do not feel a bit unprepared for true "home defense" with my skeet/hunting gun. If I felt I needed it I would get an even shorter barrel. But, I would feel very wrong-gunned on a skeet field or in a duck blind with a typical HD shotgun - very short barrel, extended magazine, pistol grip. In fact a lot of ranges will not let you shoot skeet or trap with such a gun, and I know you are not getting in a lot of duck blinds or pheasant fields. But, are you really wanting Home Defense, or to play tactical games? Not trying to be talking down to the tactical game players; skeet, trap, and hunting are really just different games. You understand what I am saying? No one gun is going to be best for all applications or games, and to me hitting something flying is by FAR the hardest thing to do, so that is the sport I would be most concerned with fitting the gun to. If you are more concerned with the tactical aspect, then go that way.

What could have happened... did.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I am not as knowledgable as most of these guys, but if you want a bird-hunting gun & a home defense gun, you could do what i did. I have had a old used mossberg 500 12 guage since college; it is a great knock around gun as it is already pretty ugly, finish-wise. It functions very well & has never jammed (pump action), but felt a bit awkward for in-home use (some burglars just won't "take it outside" ). I purchased a 18.5" barrel to keep on it for HD use but retained my 28"~ barrel in case of a hunting opportunity. Switching the barrels takes maybe a minute. The gun cost $100 in used & ugly condition; the barrel retails for about $75+ shipping (found mine at gunshow, no shipping). I also switched out the factory wood for some evil black tupperware with a pistol grip attached to a full buttstock (old wrists) for about $45. I haven't had to use it on a burglar yet, but i've been setting out boxes for big screen TV's as bait.

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining A non-uglified 500.

www.mossberg.com the more maneuverable barrel.

32564 - Mossberg 500 & 590 12 Gauge SpeedFeed III Tactical Magazine Tube Shotgun Stock similar stock to what i picked up (no extra shells in mine).

Old 05-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #10

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I haven't had to use it on a burglar yet, but i've been setting out boxes for big screen TV's as bait.
Orange you crack me up!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello