Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > A strange Stevens o/u shotgun /rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 969 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Default A strange Stevens o/u shotgun /rifle

I have a chance to buy a old stevens o/u 410/.22 for 200.00 I would grade it around 60-70 due to some pitting and i can not tell if its steel wool marks or just the grain of the steel but it covers the full barrel . I see a few on gb for mid 4's but I dont really sell anything . But She is a old lady , it belonged to her dad who told her it was a prototype for the army or navy back in the 40's but never made it , and supposedly they are not that common . I have seen combos but never this one .

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2012, 02:11 AM   #2

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

I've owned a few Savage o/u combo's. Does it have a wood stock? Do you change barrels with a button on the right side?

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #3

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

As in the Savage 24? Pretty common if that's what it is. .410/.22 is frequently encountered. I bought a pre-68 unfired 20 ga./.22 Mag I'd always wanted one of as a luxury recently for a few hundred. If it is your dream, nice it is affordable.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #4

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

These were very common back in the 1950s. Some of them had plastic stocks way back then. The Airforce Fairchild rifle issued to air crews were chambered in .410 and .22 Hornet. I did not know the Stevens O/U had a part in this. This type of firearm was popular in Germany long before Stevens Arms.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #5

Liked 969 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 527

It has the very strong tenite stock '' insert sarcasm '' and it is ser numbered , with selector button on side and still has rear site . I have not fired it and now im almost scared to , with what i have read on the selectors breaking and the rear sights , the tenite stocks , it sounds like a pos and maybe worth the 100.00 I offered for it . Only reason Im considering it is , Its a O/U , it 2 guns in one , and its got some age and not somthing you see running rampet around here . But I have never been too fond of the stevens name , the newer savage ? yes but i tend to stay away from stevens and jc higgins or glenfield . Maybe , just maybe a iver johnson from time to time depending on age , caliber and price .
I understand they have a updated selector and wood stocks , but thats more money to spend . I may just go ahead and give her 200 for it and pass it on to a good friend for what i have in it , just so it can get the care and storage it deserves . My house is like a foster home of redheaded step guns as it is now

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #6

Liked 2351 Times on 1529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine
It has the very strong tenite stock '' insert sarcasm '' and it is ser numbered , with selector button on side and still has rear site . I have not fired it and now im almost scared to , with what i have read on the selectors breaking and the rear sights , the tenite stocks , it sounds like a pos and maybe worth the 100.00 I offered for it . Only reason Im considering it is , Its a O/U , it 2 guns in one , and its got some age and not somthing you see running rampet around here . But I have never been too fond of the stevens name , the newer savage ? yes but i tend to stay away from stevens and jc higgins or glenfield . Maybe , just maybe a iver johnson from time to time depending on age , caliber and price .
I understand they have a updated selector and wood stocks , but thats more money to spend . I may just go ahead and give her 200 for it and pass it on to a good friend for what i have in it , just so it can get the care and storage it deserves . My house is like a foster home of redheaded step guns as it is now
Red headed step guns? Lmao. Now I know I'm not the only one.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 02-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #7

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

you don't have worry about busting everything. its lasted for 50 years or so, it will last awhile longer.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:25 AM   #8

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The cheap guns of 50 years ago are very well made by todays standards. One of these guns in nice shape would be a bargain at $200 bucks. With the rear sight they shoot .410 slugs quite well.