stoeger uplander double barrel 12 gauge
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > stoeger uplander double barrel 12 gauge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default stoeger uplander double barrel 12 gauge

i took my double barrel out shooting yesterday and for some reason at random times the left and the right hammers would not fully strike the shell, id break it open, close it, and it would then fire the same shell that not a moment ago wouldnt fire. i was using new remmington 2 3/4 game loads and i was not firing both barrels at the same time. Has anyone else had any sort of problem like this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Stoeger Uplanders have issues with their firing pin set up, especially the left side. It can be fixed by a good gunsmith. I havent attempted to fix the problem on mine yet, been to pre-occupied with my reloading set up.
Soft primer strikes are a normal thing for the left side because it uses the longer trigger mechanism. I was testing what mine would eat and it didnt like Remington 00 buck in the left side but it was ok in the right. Winchester 00 buck would feed in both sides. You're not the only one having the problem, so dont stress out. You may just have to switch to a different brand of shells until you can get the problem fixed like I'm having to do.
By the way, which model do you have? It sounds like you have one with exposed hammers.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #3

its the stoeger uplander supereme i think it may be the just the uplander but either way it doesnt have exposed hammers, it "cocks" them each time you break it open, which is kind of terrible when your trying to shoot skeet haha but ill try differnet loads bc i dont really want to take it to a gunsmith. the only thing that bothers me is that i orginally bought it for home denfense which i keep it loaded with 3in 000buck remmingtion shells and if god forbid something does happen and i get a click on a bad hammer well that would... suck

Old 04-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #4

If a gun has issues don't use it for any kind of defense weapon until the issues are resolved. Get it fixed and test it throughly before putting it into service.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:56 AM   #5

o trust me im not, ive already switched back my defense loads back into my mossberg 500 and she is tried and true with out ever a miss fire

Old 04-13-2010, 02:19 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You're probably better off with the Mossberg 500 for home defense, its much easier to swing corners (if you have the 18 inch model). I have one and its very easy to swing the corners in the house with mine, especially with the folding stock I put on it.
The uplander should primarily be a "fun gun" or a hunting gun (with known functioning loads) in my opinion. Clays are pretty fun to shoot with the Uplander, I put a magnetic fiberoptic sight on mine and it works great.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:20 AM   #7

ah, good choice...can't go wrong with a Mossberg.

Why don't you want to bring the Stoeger to a gunsmith?

Old 04-13-2010, 02:50 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
ah, good choice...can't go wrong with a Mossberg.

Why don't you want to bring the Stoeger to a gunsmith?
Well, if you are asking me, its mostly because I'm a gunsmith in training but I havent put much thought toward fixing the problem since its only a clay shooting gun for me. Once I do have more time after the end of this semester I probably will try and fix the problem myself (with adequate research and input from experienced people)

Old 04-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #9

unfortunatly i have the 24in barrel and a full stock on mine but even then i can handle it quite well with corners and going through the house, ive done it at home when no is there and it is empty! but the other plus side to using a mossberg if someone is in the house nothing is scarier to hear you jacking a round in the chamber in pitch black. I will take it a gunsmith as soon as i get ahold of the money... this whole college thing is kinda expensive haha that and the closet gunsmith to me is an hr away in PA which is sad for West Virginia

Old 04-14-2010, 05:27 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I dont think the problem is something a closet gunsmith should do without heavy consulting with people have have dealt with troubles like the one on the Uplander (soft primer strikes and repeated stovepipes). I havent dealt with much double barrel work so I am unwilling to take mine apart at this point in time.
The problem could be several problems like something as simple as a replacement of a spring, or it could actually be the firing pin length or it could be something to do with headspace of the Remington shells not agreeing with the chamber. The last two are much harder to diagonse and fix rather than the changing of a weak factory spring. That's why I figure its better to take it to a qualified gunsmith.