Stoeger Coach Gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Stoeger Coach Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 01:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default Stoeger Coach Gun

I've come to a working agreement with my wife....we don't spend any money for gifts at Christmas, but in spring, we celebrate our anniversary by buying each other something that's wanted. The last two years, I"ve bought handguns and she has wanted antiques to add to her collection. This year I'm thinking of a coach gun, and the Stoeger Supreme is what I'm looking at.
So...........
Who's got one, is it any good for clay shooting, any problems, dislikes....etc.
Any feedback will be appreciated.
And FYI....I like the way they look, and if it just becomes a "bump in the dark" gun, so be it, but I'd like to hear some comments anyway.

Thanks for your participation

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

MisterMcCool Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2014, 02:02 AM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7908 Times on 4280 Posts
Likes Given: 16772

That's a bump in the dark gun if ever there was one.

no offense and none taken
BannedBackTogether@email.com

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

hawkguy Likes This 
Old 02-04-2014, 02:06 AM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2477 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 713

I have a 20 gauge sxs hammerless double trigger with 20" barrels choked improved and modified. It is a nice fast handling little shotgun but not what I would call a skeet gun. You could hunt with it. The longer barrels would be a better hunter. It patterns 4" and 5" with #3 buck 20 pellet loads. Barrels are well regulated. Mine had a little too much wood where it joins the action so I had to relieve it. Light but with easy recoil with standard loads. Mags are going to whack you a little. Mine has the hard butt plate and a softer one would of course ease the recoil. The doubles are very fast for 2 shots and are a lot easier to unload than a tube mag. You can carry different loads in each barrel like buck in one and slug in the other.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:17 AM   #4

Liked 3185 Times on 1900 Posts
Likes Given: 2249

hey, i have a nickle stoeger coach gun supreme in 20G. i really like it, it has been a very good gun.

crazy part, the FIRST time i shot it, the stock broke into 4-5 pieces ! i figure it must have been a hairline fracture in the wood. on a positive note, stoeger got it repaired and back to me in about 2 weeks....since then, it has gone bang after bang. so i can say stoeger will take care of any problems quickly if they arise.

can't say on clays, but i think i saw a you tube video of a guy using a coach gun to bust them up with ease. with the supreme, the chokes will give you more options for hunting or sporting use.

it has done duty as my "bump in the dark gun" gun, alternated with some others. i like the simplicity of it. anyone (like a wife w/o much shooting experience) could pick this gun up and use it pretty effectively imo. it is also VERY compact and maneuverable. just feels great!

makes a GREAT "break down" gun as it snaps apart in seconds and can be put into a backpack easily.

its a great looking gun at a good price imo. i have had mine for several years, it is a reliable gun, and i haven't grown tired of it. i would not hesitate to recommend it to a friend.

my ONLY gripes: #1) NOT made in USA, but since no usa comp. make a coach gun, not much i could do about that. #2) the action will be SUPER stiff and take a good while to loosen up a bit.

hope this helps. let me know if i can help you w/ any other questions.

Last edited by hawkguy; 02-04-2014 at 02:19 AM.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:20 AM   #5

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Inexpensive Double barreled shotguns are pron to failure. They are great for "Cowboy" games. In real life combat no professional LEO carries such a gun. Even in the old days of the West guards carried high grade Dbls, such as WW Greeners. The shotgun throws a very small pattern at 7 yards. I would prefer a Remington 870 or some other proven repeater.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:43 AM   #6

Liked 2111 Times on 1175 Posts
Likes Given: 3111

I dont think its really the best gun for any purpose...But sounds like you just really want one....I want one too...and i dont have a good reason either....

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

People Like This 
Old 02-04-2014, 02:50 AM   #7

Liked 163 Times on 124 Posts

The double trigger extractor models have a lot better record of reliability than the single trigger guns. They ain't a Purdey, but the standard Stoeger SxSs are relatively tough.

What could have happened... did.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:51 AM   #8

Liked 2111 Times on 1175 Posts
Likes Given: 3111

On a bright note..Ruger just brought back their USA made Red Label.. I think its currently the only dbl brrl made in USA. But its an O/U...RG just bought one to go along with her Mossy Silver Reserve.I think she is breaking it in tomorrow night (trap night) so will see how it shoots..But the fit / finish / quality is very good.

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Old 02-04-2014, 03:05 AM   #9

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I have one of the first 500 Ruger Red Label shotguns. These were made with blued receivers.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #10

Liked 163 Times on 124 Posts

The "NEW" Ruger Red Labels are having some problems. Light strikes and ejector issues. I talked to a guy Saturday that had just sent his back to the factory. A lot of the first series did as well, and Ruger could never seem to fix the issues, though they had years to do it. I wish them well, but I am not going to pay to be a Beta tester. I wonder if somehow the precision investment casting process isn't lending itself well to shotgun manufacturing. I wish they would get the bugs out, because i would like to see the Gold Label come back.
If you have a Red Label and love it, congratulations, but they have a known dubious history.

What could have happened... did.