stevens arms company 12 gauge
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > stevens arms company 12 gauge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default stevens arms company 12 gauge

I recently came into ownership of a double barrel 12 gauge shotgun, it's stamped SPRINGFIELD and the J Stevens Arms Company and has a small triangle stamped on the bottom withlittle arows coming out of it. Anyone know anything about these shotguns?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #2

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

They're good guns. Stevens dropped the Springfield name on shotguns in 1948. It's actually a 5100 and should have 5100 stamped on the right side of the receiver towards the bottom rear.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 05-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #3

Default it is

it is a good shooting gun, but I had no idea it was that old, it does in fact have 5100 stamped on the side, I mistook that number as a serial number. Thanks for the great info, I was thinking about taking it to the gunsmith for full restoration

Old 05-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #4

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

A proper restoration includes color case hardening the receiver. You will likely spend more restoring it than it will ever be worth. If it was me and its in decent shape I'd leave it as is and shoot the heck out of it.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 06-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #5

Yep, agree as to it being a good old sturdy gun. I think I would not use steel shot if it were mine, but all else...shoot away!!!

Old 06-02-2011, 06:03 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Stevens shotgun

I have recently inherited an old Stevens Model 107B break open single shot 12 gauge which I swear must have never been used. The inside of the barrel was full of cob webs but once cleaned up, it shined like a mirror, not a single scratch visible. I grew up hunting with and similar gun, an old WP Wonder that my Grandfather gave me when I was just a kid. I still have it and fire it once in a while. What I'm finally getting around to is the fact that to me, a break open single shot is just about the most comfortable shotgun to carry all day without a sling. The balance is in exactly the right place and they just seem to aim themselves, even on snap shots. The fact that they break down to 3 easy pieces for cleaning ain't a bad thing either.

If the 2nd Ammendment had been the 1st, there would be no argument about the meaning of the 2nd.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #7

I still maintain some singles for that reason Stevens/Savage in .410, and an over under .22/410 that also has a 357 Mag barrel. My two other favorites are Steel Built Winchester Model 37As in 20 and 12. These last two made in the early 60s. The 12 gauge is one that makes ya recoil aware, so may not be a good pick for trap and target. All are a joy to carry when age creeps up on ya!!!!

Old 06-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Break open shotgun

I bought a Winchester Model 37A in .410 back in the 70's for $5 at a yard sale because they said it didn't work. It didn't, because the Extractor Pin had been replaced at some time by a piece of what looked like a 16 penny nail and it had bent just like a piece of wire is supposed to. I replaced it with the shaft of a drill bit which has been working just fine ever since. My son, who was seven at the time fell in love with it and it is still working as good as new. It appears to have been made in Canada and had a plastic forend spacer which broke last year and was replaced by a black anodized aluminum one purchased from Numrich for $16.00, over three times what I paid for the gun. So now I have a total of $21.00 and a piece of drill bit invested in it. It's really a fun gun to shoot and if you shoot skeet with it, you will become much better with your 12 gauge. It's like switching from snooker to pool.

I'll take the 2nd, the crooks can take the 5th.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #9

I think that one was made when they were down grading the whole line of firearms. post 64. At that time I think they even used hard wood instead of walnut on their stocks. Even had a kind of simple rolled scroll engraving on the receiver. The ones prior, Red Label and Steel Built are slowly increasing in value, with prices in very good to excellent and depending on what gauge, from $250 to $500. I think I paid under $40 new for the 20 gauge and $25 in a Vegas pawn shop around 1970. Other than very slight handling marks ( about 98% ) the 12 was almost new.
Also made in Canada about the time your 37 was made was a really nice .22 LR, Semi auto, patterned after the Model 100 centerfire. Very nice workmanship and wood on a full sized .22. It was called Model 490. Have a pair of them. One with honest slight wear, and one that is unfired, and new in the box. The used one is very accurate and wears an old 4X Weaver (1" tube).
Seems like when I was a teen in the 50s many more friends had the singles, Model 37s, than repeaters for first guns. Not expensive, tough, and put down a lot of game in the learning process. Of course it gave something to dream of by planning and saving for a repeater.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #10

I also came into a stevens springfield 12ga. double barrel shotgun but the number on mine isnt 5100, its 5000 any idea what that means?