stevens 520-30
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > stevens 520-30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 163 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Default stevens 520-30

I have not performed much of a search on this shotgun yet so please don't yell at me. I was handed this pump gun yesterday by my granduncle. He said that it belonged to my grandfather and it should stay with me.

It's in fair condition i.e. very minor pitting on the barrel and the stock needs to be refinished. When I get a chance, it's going to the gunsmith for a health check and I'll post a pic.

Just wondering if anyone could tell me about the gun or direct me to some good information on it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Pics would be nice. Most of these appear to have been either trench or riot guns.

I am sure some of the more knowledgeable members will come along soon.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #3

I thought there would be a little more response on this shotgun. The old timers must still be napping. I'm having trouble with the pics for some strange reason. I'll post some as soon as I pull my head out.

It looks to be of the trench gun ilk as the barrel is notched for the heat shield/bayonet. I'm assuming it was manufactured in the early Forties but tough to tell as I can find no serial # guides to help date it (590XX). Unfortunately, someone mounted a reflective sight and did a hack job on the receiver when they drilled and tapped it.

Last edited by NotMormon; 06-05-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I found some good info using Google. Send c3shooter a PM.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #5

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I've seen many of this model and worked on several. I don't remember seeing any actual trench or riot ones. I personally don't think it was a very good design but that is just an opinion. They did make quite a few of them.
Made with 28,30,and 32" barrels. 6-shot capacity. Odd take-down design. Suggested price in 1929 was $39.99.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:18 AM   #6

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I worked on several of these in the 80's they seem to have been popular with law enforcement in the 40's and 50's in Oklahoma. They were sold off fairly cheap and I refinished several. I have only seen one actual trench model and it was in such good shape I'm not 100% sure about its pedigree. There is quite a bit ogmf info on the web and myself I like the take down system.

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always

Old 06-06-2012, 02:44 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
I've seen many of this model and worked on several. I don't remember seeing any actual trench or riot ones. I personally don't think it was a very good design but that is just an opinion. They did make quite a few of them.
Made with 28,30,and 32" barrels. 6-shot capacity. Odd take-down design. Suggested price in 1929 was $39.99.

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7mi.w85P5iYALx5XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1NHBlZTB iBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMTMEY29sbwNhYzIEdnRpZANBQ0JZMDFfO TA-/SIG=12j35j5ao/EXP=1338979390/**http%3a//www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php%3ff=75%26t=93796

Link to a post on another site.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:51 AM   #8
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
Considering this is a gun designed by John M. Browning,it is a pretty good designed shotgun.
I bought one several years ago,and have really enjoyed it.It was made in the mid 1930's,and is in great condition.It's a Westernfield (Montgomery Wards)with a factory Poly Choke.
The takedown action is a work of engineering genius,it's a cam lock design,and works very well.

The earlier designed 520's have a double humpback receiver,and the later ones are a single humpback.
If you dry fire one of these guns,you have to put forward pressure on the forearm handle before you try to pump the action.There is a recoil activated bolt safety cam that lets the bolt be cycled after firing,but it stays in position blocking bolt movement if dry fired.

Top shotgun is my 520-

Old 06-06-2012, 04:25 AM   #9

Yea, I've been googlin a bit. Looks like if the receiver had not have been molested, it would be fairly valuable. Not too concerned as this one will be staying in the family. I've never much been into shotguns but I really like this baby.

The barrel is 19-3/4" with a weaver muzzle brake/choke. All numbers match too. It took about two minutes to take down and the action is like butter. Too scared to dismantle the receiver right now. I'll get some pics soon.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:12 AM   #10

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Considering this is a gun designed by John M. Browning,it is a pretty good designed shotgun.
I bought one several years ago,and have really enjoyed it.It was made in the mid 1930's,and is in great condition.It's a Westernfield (Montgomery Wards)with a factory Poly Choke.
The takedown action is a work of engineering genius,it's a cam lock design,and works very well.

The earlier designed 520's have a double humpback receiver,and the later ones are a single humpback.
If you dry fire one of these guns,you have to put forward pressure on the forearm handle before you try to pump the action.There is a recoil activated bolt safety cam that lets the bolt be cycled after firing,but it stays in position blocking bolt movement if dry fired.

Top shotgun is my 520-

Trap 870 there?