Stevens 5100 double barrel - I need help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Stevens 5100 double barrel - I need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Stevens 5100 double barrel - I need help

Hello,

As a favor to my father-in-law I've been restoring his 1949 Stevens 5100 double barrel side-by-side. I disassembled it and sent the metal off to be re-blued and ordered new stocks from Boyd’s. I did not disassemble the receiver portion.

I’ve got it all back together yesterday but in testing it unloaded I can’t seem to figure out how the triggers/hammers get cocked after firing. If I remove the stock I can access the hammers and pull those back and it resets the trigger. But if I dry-fire it, break open the barrels to simulate a reload, and close the barrels again, the triggers don’t reset.

I’ve never worked on a shotgun before, only using my 870 for light hunting. Any advice on how this is supposed to work would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #2

I examined how the barrels, forend, and receiver mate and function when opening and closing and I think I have a better understanding now. I think that with this Stevens (and maybe the Savage 311s?) that when you break it open and then close it there is a beveled rod that protrudes from the receiver that moves up and down kind of like a teeter-totter. I'm guessing that this action somehow resets the hammers but although it seems to be engaging properly with the forend/barrel assembly it's still not resetting the triggers.

It's possible that it wasn't working when I got it. Perhaps a trip to the smith might be in order.

Monterey...

Old 06-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #3

I took mine apart and wouldn't suggest anyone do this unless they know what they are doing. I ended up getting lucky in getting it back together. Can't quite remember how I did it, but wouldn't do it again. I took mine to a gunsmith about a year after I took it apart and couldn't get it back together. He couldn't figure it out. Then about a couple years later I tried again and got it. It took about 20 different attempts at it over a span of about 3 years. Its back together now and all is well. But, I need a stock and forend for it as the wood ones were junk. Does anyone know where I might be able to pick up a cheap stock and forend?

Old 06-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #4

I just bought a replacement stock and forend from Boyd's. The forend was $24 and the stock was less than $60. Original Replacement Stocks and Forends for Stevens Shotguns

Customer service was excellent!

Monterey...

Old 06-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #5

Thanks for the link, would the model 311 fit the model 5100? I didn't see any for the model 5100, but I do understand that they are very similar.

Did you ever get your 5100 working? It is like a puzzle, and no one seems to have a lot of knowledge on the double barrels. For me, trial and error seemed to work, although it took about 3 years.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #6

Yes, I used the model 311 pieces for my 5100. There are two types of stocks for the 5100, usually called Type I and Type II. The Type II is curved at the matting surface of the receiver. I'd suggest calling their 800 number. I've called a couple of times and their customer service was very good. They fedex from South Dakota so you have to add another $15-$20 for shipping.

I did get the 5100 working last night. Turns out you really have to break it open very firmly to the end to get the triggers to reset. Much harder than I would have anticipated. But as long as you know that it will work fine. For a gun that's 60 years old I don't think it's been used all that much. Mostly just abused!

Old 11-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey View Post
Hello,

As a favor to my father-in-law I've been restoring his 1949 Stevens 5100 double barrel side-by-side. I disassembled it and sent the metal off to be re-blued and ordered new stocks from Boyd’s. I did not disassemble the receiver portion.

I’ve got it all back together yesterday but in testing it unloaded I can’t seem to figure out how the triggers/hammers get cocked after firing. If I remove the stock I can access the hammers and pull those back and it resets the trigger. But if I dry-fire it, break open the barrels to simulate a reload, and close the barrels again, the triggers don’t reset.

I’ve never worked on a shotgun before, only using my 870 for light hunting. Any advice on how this is supposed to work would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Where did you send it for re-bluing?

Old 11-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #8

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

FWIW the receiver on 5100's was color case hardened not blued. Stocks and fore ends are available from several places. Numrich, Bobs, Gunbroker just to name a few. 311 wood will fit if you use the right style as was already mentioned.