steel shot bad for your barrel?? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

steel shot bad for your barrel??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian
Interesting. I was selling and fixing guns in the '80s and I saw quite a few ringed barrels. Of course I did live in a big waterfowling area.
The avengers are non choked riot guns

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 05-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #12

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Another big problem occurred early on with steel shot. The steel shot produced in the 70's had a very high iron content in an effort to keep it as soft as possible. Waterfowl hunters hunt in very damp conditions. Many kept their shells in damp, or even wet coat pockets. What they didn't shoot they saved for the following season. A lot of this shot became severely rusted, and in the process fused itself together. When it was fired it acted more like a solid mass than it did a load of shot. This caused severe damage to many guns back then.

Today steel shells are very well sealed, and the shot itself is coated with a food grade, rust inhibiting lubricant to both prevent rust, as well as add lubricity. Some even have a granulated plastic buffer added to aid in easier compression of the shot charge as it passes through the choke.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:44 AM   #13

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Just make sure you get a choke that is designed to handle it and you'll have nothing to worry about.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 05-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #14

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

One lesson a buddy of mine learned, is to store steal shot in a DRY place. He stored his in area with humid air, and the shot rusted together. He now owns a Remington 1100 with a bulged barrel. Long story short, he shot an accidental slug through a full choke.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #15

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt
Another big problem occurred early on with steel shot. The steel shot produced in the 70's had a very high iron content in an effort to keep it as soft as possible. Waterfowl hunters hunt in very damp conditions. Many kept their shells in damp, or even wet coat pockets. What they didn't shoot they saved for the following season. A lot of this shot became severely rusted, and in the process fused itself together. When it was fired it acted more like a solid mass than it did a load of shot. This caused severe damage to many guns back then.

Today steel shells are very well sealed, and the shot itself is coated with a food grade, rust inhibiting lubricant to both prevent rust, as well as add lubricity. Some even have a granulated plastic buffer added to aid in easier compression of the shot charge as it passes through the choke.
Check out the last post I posted. I was about to read your post (the one I quoted) right after I posted it.