Sporting clays gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Sporting clays gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Sporting clays gun

I'm just getting back into sporting clays, and would like a decent gun for it. I'm not looking to break the bank (<$600) but would like a very reliable and trustworthy gun that I can get years of use out of. I'm looking at the Beretta A390. It fits me well, is a great shooter, and is very pretty. (To me) Any opinions and feedback helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

If you can't be safe, be deadly.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

A Beretta should serve you well. I hunt with a Benelli, so I shoot sporting clays with a Benelli.

Benellis and Berrettas are corporate cousins.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:56 AM   #3

Liked 363 Times on 208 Posts

I have the Beretta A400 Xcel Sporting with 32-inch barrel. It's a great sporting clays and 5-Stand gun. It was $1,650. A semi-auto for under $600 is going to be a Stoeger. Maybe the M3500?

Old 07-12-2014, 02:35 AM   #4

Liked 158 Times on 119 Posts

A Beretta 390 is my second favorite semi to my 1100. With reasonable care it should outlive you easily.

What could have happened... did.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:43 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2152 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 801

Use www.gunwatcher.com to compare the shotgun you are looking at to others on the market. There are several used Beretta shotguns for around $700 that are in 95% plus condition.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 07-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #6

Liked 61 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I want a deceent doubleor over under for clays and skeet and everything else. Shooting Sports magazine carries adds once in a while for some nice guns like from Connecticut Arms, I think. with some engraving and very nice wood. 3,900.00 or so. Sound like a lot but a dollar would only be 7 cents in 1970 dollars. Arietta had some from not quite 5,000.00.
Needless to say I will have to save. Shooting a nice gun is one of the attrations of hooting sports. i really want something in stainless or coin finish. I hate to think of rubbing off the finish from shooting it so much. If I get a nice one, it might take six months for me to take the chance on the finish but eventually I would be out there buyin shells by the case.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2152 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbucket View Post
I want a deceent doubleor over under for clays and skeet and everything else. Shooting Sports magazine carries adds once in a while for some nice guns like from Connecticut Arms, I think. with some engraving and very nice wood. 3,900.00 or so. Sound like a lot but a dollar would only be 7 cents in 1970 dollars. Arietta had some from not quite 5,000.00.
Needless to say I will have to save. Shooting a nice gun is one of the attrations of hooting sports. i really want something in stainless or coin finish. I hate to think of rubbing off the finish from shooting it so much. If I get a nice one, it might take six months for me to take the chance on the finish but eventually I would be out there buyin shells by the case.
Many competitive shooters prefer a semi auto for sporting clays because they shoot so many high velocity rounds in a match. Many of the nicer sporting clay courses have air traps that throw the clay at 55 mph. As you might imagine a clay can get away if you are a little slow to visually pick up the clay.

No matter how much you spend you can't buy a single gun that will be the best for everything you might do.

Not only is buying shells expensive you are handicapping yourself by shooting factory ammo. I prefer the equivalent of a Winchester AA loaded with 9 shot for skeet. AA ammo isn't cheap. If you pattern a 8 shot economy shell, then pattern a 9 AA shell, you will see the economy shell will have many gaps in the pattern that a clay could slip through. While the AA will have few or no gaps in the center of the pattern.

By loading your own ammo you will always have high antimony shot that is hard enough for a single 9 pellet to break a clay within reasonable range.

http://www.texashuntworks.com/index.php/Articles/Featured-Articles/Antimony-Makes-A-Better-Shotgun-Shell.html

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 07-24-2014, 09:57 PM   #8

Liked 788 Times on 616 Posts

remember, semi's and pumps give you only one bbl and one choke at a time.
with an o&u, you can (select) a bbl....changing chokes quickly.
and in s.clays, you want that.
think o&u.

thats why they made them.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 07-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2681 Times on 1863 Posts
Likes Given: 1361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth_A7X View Post
I'm just getting back into sporting clays, and would like a decent gun for it. I'm not looking to break the bank (<$600) but would like a very reliable and trustworthy gun that I can get years of use out of. I'm looking at the Beretta A390. It fits me well, is a great shooter, and is very pretty. (To me) Any opinions and feedback helps.

You all but answered your question. Yes

I shot it a lot. Except that it runs dirty like all gas-recoil systems, it is an excellent shotgun. My favorite though is the Browning A5 - no gas tube, no soot, no problem.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

The big dogs always seem to have O/U's and in Sporting, they wear 32-34" tubes. That is a lot of weight fwd and it helps you shoot through the bird. Especially for beginners.

However, if you don't reload and have to fire 11/8oz factory loads - after 100 rds, gets old fast.

I have Berretta 391 w lots of bells & whistles - when my cheek or shoulder is sore from shooting o/u - I still go back to it. Soft comb & gas system really do help w recoil and in a lighter package.

There was a thread on the shotgun actions and a FTF member quoted some excellent data which broke down the pos & neg for each type of action. It was really well written.

You can set up search engines w various gun sites - I get one daily from GunsAmerica. I see Berrettas 7-1,000. More if the gun spent time being customized.

Example : adj comb seems to add $300 to price of gun.

Do you need it ??? - welcome to the debate - IMHO it's completely subjective.
Plan on spending more for a competition gun vs field grade but the higher end guns will hold their value better.

I've personally seen Browning/Beretta skeet guns w tube sets increase in value.