sporting clay chokes

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > sporting clay chokes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default sporting clay chokes

what is the best choke size to use for sporting clay? one that would work overall because i dont want to change chokes at every station. and also, do u think extended choke tubes are worth the extra money/what benefits do they offer?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not sure there's a good answer for this, as every station is different and could require a different choke. If I had to pick one I'd probably go with an Improved Cylinder or a Light Modified, but I've shot a lot of Sporting with a skeet choke also (more open than an IC). I'd probably go with the IC--I'd rather miss an occasional long shot because of an open pattern than handicap every close shot with too tight of a group. As far as extended chokes--my experience is every factory load/reload can be different (some will pattern better with extended chokes, some won't). But I think overall they're worth it--especially in Sporting as they are easier to change out between stations if you decide to do that. Good luck and enjoy!

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 11-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #3

Liked 65 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneo206 View Post
what is the best choke size to use for sporting clay? one that would work overall because i dont want to change chokes at every station. and also, do u think extended choke tubes are worth the extra money/what benefits do they offer?

I use a 12 gauge semi-auto with a screw-in Improved Cylinder (IC) choke.

I reload 2 different 1 oz loads - one with soft #9s and the other with extra hard #7½s.

Depending on the shot, I'll use the soft 9s for a little more open on the choke or the 7½s for a little tighter pattern.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:25 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySendero View Post
I use a 12 gauge semi-auto with a screw-in Improved Cylinder (IC) choke.

I reload 2 different 1 oz loads - one with soft #9s and the other with extra hard #7½s.

Depending on the shot, I'll use the soft 9s for a little more open on the choke or the 7½s for a little tighter pattern.
Thumbs up--that's a good strategy--I've seen others use it with success.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:22 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default reply

There is no Mans man single choke that we can all get along with? Not making fun of the skeet shooters but really are you serious? Modified

Old 11-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badshot320 View Post
There is no Mans man single choke that we can all get along with? Not making fun of the skeet shooters but really are you serious? Modified
We're talking sporting clays here, not skeet. Skeet uses 4 separate gauges and a single choke, sporting clays can or cannot, depending on the range, setup, shooter preference, etc. Has nothing to do with "manning up"--it's the same as saying "why does someone need a .22 for squirrels when a 458 Win Magnum will work...