Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Sons New Gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/sons-new-gun-99972/)

OandB 11-05-2013 05:48 PM

Sons New Gun

So yesterday I bought my step-son his first gun a Remington 870 Express 20 gauge. It is suppose to be a Christmas present but I'm not sure if I can last that long.

JW357 11-05-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OandB
So yesterday I bought my step-son his first gun a Remington 870 Express 20 gauge. It is suppose to be a Christmas present but I'm not sure if I can last that long.

Cool. Congrats. Excellent to get new shooters involved as much as possible.

ccase39 11-05-2013 07:48 PM

That was my first shot gun. Classic.

jonlong 11-05-2013 09:26 PM

I love my 870. My grandfather bought it new in 1962 for $99 at a hardware store and still shoots perfect

304inc 11-06-2013 04:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Try to hold out for Christmas, it'll mean more to the boy. I know what you mean though, hard to tell who was more excited. Though not his first gun, but his first shotgun on his 12th bday. 12 gauge JC Higgins. Fitting since the boys middle name is Gage ( wife wouldn't let me spell it gauge,, )lol

304inc 11-06-2013 05:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The day he got it,, wouldn't put it up. Held it so long he ended up passing out with it. He does that from time to time. With any of my guns, we have a deal, all he has to do is ask and he can handle any of my guns.anytime (within reason) Takes the mystery out of them, and he's never needed to sneak into em.

Attachment 124934

No where near any ammo, and safety checked by me ,, then a thousand more times that day by him.lol,, love it.........

kfox75 11-06-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OandB (Post 1423530)

Bought the same model for my step-daughter when she was 12. Gave it to her on her birthday, the only birthday better than that one so far was her 16th. Hold out. It'lll be worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 304inc (Post 1424293)
The day he got it,, wouldn't put it up. Held it so long he ended up passing out with it. He does that from time to time. With any of my guns, we have a deal, all he has to do is ask and he can handle any of my guns.anytime (within reason) Takes the mystery out of them, and he's never needed to sneak into em.

Attachment 124934

No where near any ammo, and safety checked by me ,, then a thousand more times that day by him.lol,, love it.........

Nothing wrong with that. I am the same way either my step-daughter. Since there has never been a mystery when it comes to firearms (she started helping me DCOR long guns at 6, pistols at 8) she has learned safe handling procedures, and has a respect for them, not a fear of them. I trust her with a key to the safe her shotgun and rifle are in, and I do not worry about her having access. I know a lot of adults that I would never trust to that level.

Her mother and I are going to pick up a safe for her this Christmas. A small 8 gun one for now, she can buy a larger one when she outgrows it. Figure we can put it together Christmas Eve night, set it in her room, move her guns into it, and slap a bow on it without waking her. Should be an entertaining morning when she wakes up.