You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

some remington 870 questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2015, 09:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 237 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default some remington 870 questions

I am looking to purchase a Remington 870 shotgun for home defense and to shoot for fun (possibly a work gun if I get hired by sheriff's, I also have a benelli m4). I see some of the "tactical" versions at stores for around $399.99 (usually on sale for 329.99 though) but online Remington has them for $50.00-$100.00 more is that not a real tactical version? I also saw a youtube video from 2013 and the guy did not recommend the 870. I will try and post video when I find it. Also what is the difference between an 870 and express 870? I am looking at either the express 870 tactical or 870 synthetic (which is 7 rounds, I like that version the best so far).

do any of you have the express tactical or synthetic ?

Sorry if it's hard to understand too I have been up since 4:00 am on my day off from work

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2015, 01:06 AM   #2
Forum Chaplain
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1621 Times on 1051 Posts
Likes Given: 1446

This is an old argument (Rem. 870 vs Moss. 500) one is chosen by military, and the other by LE. Both have proven reliability. I own the 870 Express and an old 870 Wingmaster, I believe the main differences between the Express and the tactical is the barrel length, the capacity, the stock design,and the material of the stock. Maybe the better way to say it is the only thing the same is the receiver and pump.
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Prv. 27:17
People Like This 
Old 10-09-2015, 03:23 AM   #3

Liked 194 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 130

When you compare the "new" 870's to the older 870 models(pre 2000 and older) there is no comparison.

Wingmaster is much better, by it's smoother, more refined action over the Express, but for home defense I'd take the "Tactical" model everyday.

The Tactical has machined steel action parts over "mim" components in the Express. I'm unsure of the Wingmaster parts. You CAN get Tactical receiver parts and swap into the other models if need warrants it.

This alone is why the Tactical is used for LEO work.

One thing Remington did continue to do with the 870's and that is keep the receiver in steel for strength.

The Express 20ga I have has a hard, gritty pump action. It's easy to short-stroke due to this, but if you think about it, it performs well. They say that the action gets smoother with usage. I'd like to know when, as I have about 250rds thru mine.

I seriously would seek a Tactical model(synthetic furniture) and put a Saddleback Mount over the receiver and use either a EOTech/MeOptic/AimPoint sight and put a good GI nylon adjustable type sling on it.
A shell extension tube couldn't hurt, along with a shell holder mount on the stock for extra shells. Couldn't get more serious for your family's safety.

If you get hired by Sheriff's Office, you might not be able to use your own weapon, due to liability, but I have heard some small town offices use self-owned Hi-Point Carbines as backup, so anything is possible when money is involved.
Life Member of NRA
Lifetime "Conservation Partner" Permit Holder
jeffm Likes This 
Old 10-09-2015, 09:00 AM   #4

Liked 235 Times on 175 Posts

Both have been used by the military and law enforcement. Both are good guns. The 870 Express is built down to a Price point. Some MIM parts like the extractor. If it isn't smooth enough for you, sit in front of the TV one weekend watching football and cycle the action the whole time; that should do it. 250 rounds isn't going to do much in an action designed to go 250,000 rounds plus. A few years ago they had some with excessively rough chambers, but that appears to have been solved, and they guy in the U Tube video is no doubt a self styled expert and he doesn't like Remington. I do. The Tactical is a configuration, the Police Models are a different build quality (no MIM parts, stronger sear spring, etc.). If you get the one with the one piece larger capacity magazine tube, you cannot swap barrels unless you make an adapter. Apparently a bunch of people did not look into that and are now whining about it.
In my opinion you are usually better off to buy a plain basic gun and add only the components you want from a quality vendor.

Last edited by Virginian; 10-09-2015 at 09:04 AM.
People Like This 
Old 10-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #5

Liked 319 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Prices on manufacturers sites are always more than what most would pay for retail.
jeffm Likes This 
Old 10-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #6

thanks everyone, I went to sportsman's warehouse to check some out and to my surprise after I talked to the guy he told me the $359.99 is way better than the $499.99 for what I need/want it for. I will be picking it up within the next couple months hopefully.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 10-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #7
Forum Chaplain

Liked 1621 Times on 1051 Posts
Likes Given: 1446

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
thanks everyone, I went to sportsman's warehouse to check some out and to my surprise after I talked to the guy he told me the $359.99 is way better than the $499.99 for what I need/want it for. I will be picking it up within the next couple months hopefully.
In general I have found the gun counter guys at "Sportsman's Warehouse" a tad better than other big store operations, and a LOT better than "Wal-Mart".
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Prv. 27:17
jeffm Likes This 
Old 10-10-2015, 08:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbrownsr View Post
In general I have found the gun counter guys at "Sportsman's Warehouse" a tad better than other big store operations, and a LOT better than "Wal-Mart".
One time at big 5 I asked the clerk about the benelli m4 shotgun (before I owned one) and she handed me a Savage 22 rifle. Don't get me wrong I am by no means a gun expert and have a lot to learn but even I know the difference between a rifle and shotgun let alone the name of the brands on them.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #9

Liked 3467 Times on 2041 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Summit gun broker is a good online site to check out for police trade-in pistols and shotguns. They had some 870 shotguns on there not too long ago. Those duty weapons would posses all the high durability parts most folks would be looking for in a defensive shotgun.
People Like This 
Old 10-10-2015, 11:13 PM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 1861 Times on 1045 Posts
Likes Given: 803

I own a Remington 870 Police Magnum. From handling and shooting 870 Express models, the 870P model has more attention given to the fit and finish of the components. The action of the 870P is smoother and it has a parkerized finish. The 870P also has an aluminum trigger guard and machined extractor. The 870 Express models have blued finishes, polymer trigger guards, and MIM extractors.

My take on the trigger guard is that either is just fine. The MIM extractors wouldn't present any problems if they were manufactured properly (correctly dimensioned and heat treated). For whatever reason, the MIM parts were not correctly dimensioned. I have no idea about the heat treatment. Naturally, this lead to extraction problems for some users and MIM became a dirty word to 870 owners.

I do have a strong preference for parkerized finishes over bluing, which is one of the reasons I spent the extra money on the 870P over the 870 Express. If this will be a duty gun for you, spend the extra money on the Police version. I've never heard anyone complain about having a high quality, reliable shotgun.
jeffm Likes This