Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Snake Killing Shotgun? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/snake-killing-shotgun-516/)

gunsgunsandmoreguns 05-21-2007 05:42 PM

Snake Killing Shotgun?

I assume a shot gun would be the best option for shooting snakes. I got some bird shot. Is that sufficient enough? We have little creek with a mudhole/pond in the little bit of woods behind our house. I killed a water moccasin last night with a shovel. The dog got him originally but it got away. I don't think the dog was bit as she seems okay.

I got two small kids that play out there and I missed the snake on the first chop and it got a little closer than I wanted.

UnBound 05-21-2007 06:51 PM

bird shot works fine for me, you are usually close enough to do some pretty good damage. i just use whatever is in the chamber to kill snakes...usually it is 7 1/2 dove loads.

marmac 05-21-2007 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunsgunsandmoreguns (Post 1710)
I assume a shot gun would be the best option for shooting snakes. I got some bird shot. Is that sufficient enough? We have little creek with a mudhole/pond in the little bit of woods behind our house. I killed a water moccasin last night with a shovel. The dog got him originally but it got away. I don't think the dog was bit as she seems okay.

I got two small kids that play out there and I missed the snake on the first chop and it got a little closer than I wanted.

Growing up in Central Florida, I've killed a BUNCH of moccasins, most of them with a shotgun. We would use #6 shot and it works okay if you don't try to keep 100 feet away from them.

It was always kinda fun when we had a real hot day and they would come up out of the "clay pits" and lay out on the edges and my cousin and I would walk around and shoot them, sometimes 10 or 15 at a time!!

I HATE snakes!! :mad:

MarMac

RONSERESURPLUS 05-21-2007 11:21 PM

Snake Killing shotguns?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

As a Kid, I killed my share of Copperheads and Rattlers with a 22 LR my Dad had, But later upgraded to a 12GA with Bird shot, it was a constant companion in our boat and when we hit rh bnk, we watched out for the snakes there and Killed a lot!

glockfire 02-04-2008 12:17 AM

When I spend time in oklahoma, I use 12g birdshot to take water moccasins, copperheads, and cottonmouths all the time. It works fine. Ive even used a .22lr shotshell once from about 6 yards away on a small corn snake and it killed him.

Duck 02-05-2008 02:27 AM

Why kill them? It's not like you're going to eliminate all of the snakes in your area. Other ones will just move in to occupy the territory freed up by the dead ones. Teach your kids to stay alert and stay away from them instead.

GlenJohnson 02-06-2008 07:25 AM

Once a moccasin spots you, it's hard to ignore him, he'll chase you down. Rattlers, they'll warn you to stay away, and if you're smart you can. We live with a grade school in front of us, and a Dollar General behind us, and just a block up the road, the neighbors killed a moccasin in the road. We can't afford to take chances. Matter of fact, in the little berg where we live, there is more undeveloped land than developed. Don't have a problem with that, it's part of the reason we settled down here, but in Northern Florida, where things grow bigger than life, you have to pay attention to whats going on around you.

Duck 02-06-2008 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlenJohnson (Post 15691)
you have to pay attention to whats going on around you.

That's my point exactly.

robocop10mm 02-06-2008 02:06 PM

My personal philosophy is "Any snake in the water is a dead snake". Any tool at my disposal will suffice. Shotgun, .22, .45-70, shovel, stick, IED whatever it takes. Water moccasins are the most evil critter I have seen in North America. The only thing I have seen that comes close in the world is a South African Spotted Hyena. That is pure evil, death, killing machine, devoid of any personality or soul. Looking one in the eye (through an electric fence) gave me chills. The most empty eyes I have ever seen. Worse than a psychotic serial killer.
Any snake on land gets a second look. Non venomous, leave it alone. They keep the rodents under control.

matt g 02-06-2008 02:59 PM

Ever seen these? http://www.verney-carron.us/pages_us/iii_field-gun.htm