smaller shotgun for older man with little recoil.. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > smaller shotgun for older man with little recoil..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 01:56 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnorse View Post
went back today.. they have a mossberg 500 at BPS and it comes with 2 barels, one rifled one smooth, and 3 recoil pads... 350.00 more then i wanted to spend...

a better deal then the remington?

should i shoot for a riffled barrel or a smooth barel... i shoot slugs for deer, but bird shot for clays.... can a riffled barrel be used with bird shot?
Yes you can shoot bird shot through a rifled barrel. If it came with the smooth barrel it probley has a choke on it or is "choked" when it was made. You would get a better grouping with the smooth bore than with the rifled barrel. The Moss is a good shotgun.

If you are on a budget look at your local trader papers, with alittle footwork you can find a great used shotgun in your price range.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:21 AM   #22

Likes Given: 2

so rifled is not needed at all...

if a smooth bore is fine and has good accuracy.. then i wont bother getting a riffled barrel...

I'll probably just go with the mossberg 500 at walmart then... 200 bucks sounds good to me

can you buy the different recoil pads and what not seperate or was that the delux version only?

is it easy to put a scope on a mossberg 500? i know the remington needed a special mount, same with the mossy?

edit: never saw your post

we can only hunt with shotguns in this county... so rifles are illegal to use for deer hunting, and therefore i dont need one...

Old 07-17-2008, 03:16 AM   #23

while using low-recoil slugs... what else can we do to lessen the recoil... different stocks or something?

Old 07-18-2008, 03:32 AM   #24

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=62&title=SHOTGUN%20SCOPE%20MO UNT

That is the mount for the mossy, so yes you need a scope mount, but what distance are you shooting? If you are going with a smooth bore shotgun with some choke, You wont really need one unless the eyes are not what they are used to be.

As for recoil pads this one is great, there are many others that are great this is one example http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=9751&title=PRE-FIT%20RECOIL%20PADS

If you want to drop the recoil even more you can get a merc tube installed
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=4927&title=MERCURY%20RECOIL%2 0SUPPRESSOR
You can use the tube one that would replace the migratory bird plug ( i dont know if you need one for deer in your state) and place one in the stock ( gunsmith )

As you can see it adds up. If you buy a part here and there it is not so bad.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #25

i saw that for the 20 gauge mossberg 500.. neither of those two had that one listed under the guns...

the remington 870 however was, which leads me to believe that there is more aftermarket items made for the remington 870..

i plan on buying the gun... shooting quite a few rounds through it... see how i like the sight and how the gun works... then i'll upgrade what i dislike... ie. scope, recoil pad...

i am still in a toss up between riffled and smooth...

will i have a decent grouping at 50 yards with slugs in a smooth barrel? or if i am doing slugs, a riffled is a must for any decent grouping? if you are running smooth and slugs, how is the accuracy at 100 yards or so?

Old 07-18-2008, 04:49 PM   #26

..Myself i would choose the Rem Express in 20 gauge,and if you need a shorter
trigger pull go with the youth model..

..I UPHOLD THE RIGHT TO KEEP AND BARE-ARMS..

Old 07-19-2008, 02:30 AM   #27

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnorse View Post
i saw that for the 20 gauge mossberg 500.. neither of those two had that one listed under the guns...

the remington 870 however was, which leads me to believe that there is more aftermarket items made for the remington 870..

i plan on buying the gun... shooting quite a few rounds through it... see how i like the sight and how the gun works... then i'll upgrade what i dislike... ie. scope, recoil pad...

i am still in a toss up between riffled and smooth...

will i have a decent grouping at 50 yards with slugs in a smooth barrel? or if i am doing slugs, a riffled is a must for any decent grouping? if you are running smooth and slugs, how is the accuracy at 100 yards or so?

T 50 or so yards you should have no problems. You do need to run a few through it and see where it prints. You are not going to see sub moa groups by no means, but it is a 1/2 inch slug for goodness sake. If you can get it into a 3 inch group and are shooting for the heart/lung vital area you have one dead deer.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:20 PM   #28

the bass pro shops does not have any riffled barrel shotguns in stock in a 20 gauge... only in 12...

they showed us a nice looking combo, 12 gauge remington 870 express, riffled 20" and a smooth longer barrel... looks like a nice gun, we just don't like the fact it is a 12 gauge...

so i guess the question is, how worth it is it to have a riffled barrel and spend double the money on Sabots then on normal slugs...

is it worth the extra money to have 2 barrels, or will a smooth bore be just fine with a riffled slug?